Monday, August 12, 2013

It has been a busy week with a builder and plumber in to rip out the old bathroom and install a new one. Once everything had been removed realisation dawned that a straightforward five day job had become several days at least. One wall was in an appalling state and needed to be fully replastered with aquaboards, etc... After eight days the bath is plumbed in although the rest of the suite, etc... will be finalised tomorrow. I was kept busy with cutting tiles, acting as a general gopher and I became a frequent visitor to some of the local DIY stores. I have also learnt a hell of a lot about building, plastering, tiling,waterproofing, etc...


It is almost finished but being able to have a bath in our own bathroom.... bliss.
We went for a clean minimalist wet room look after enduring frequent leaks, collapsed ceilings and a flood on one occasion over the last ten years. Fully tiled, easily cleaned and functional. Once everything is fully plumbed in we can then personalise it with some colour but I still prefer the functionalist approach to a bathroom.  The builder is a friend so we got a special rate and we know he is very good at his job. Mrs C now has other projects in mind, mainly painting and decorating No.1 sons room, the spare bedroom and then the rooms downstairs which will keep me busy over the next few months. I also discovered how much rubbish I can fit into the Suzuki including the old bath! 
Also on the home front Mrs C's daughter LE is moving back to London next month. She wants the opportunities offered down there in the smoke, personal as well as work related. We're all pretty sad about her decision to leave Grimsby but the spare room is available if things go pear shaped. I can understand her reasons for going but c'est la vie. Mrs C and I are settled here and regard Grimsby as home but we are old fogies and enjoy our sedentary lifestyle. LE has good friends in London and there are better career opportunities for her down there. I've done that and the London I knew as my home no longer exists. On the plus side... somewhere to stay when we pop down to London as tourists! I haven't yet been on the London Eye or seen the changes to my home town over the past ten years.
An early night beckons as I have to be up for the plumber so TTFN.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Looks good so far! I agree with the minimalist approach - it's just a bathroom, after all. Besides, I'm sure Mrs. C will add her own touches to it when it is done.

10:20 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

BTW, I like the return to the old format. There are things you can do with this one if you wish, while the layout of the other kind just isn't for me.

10:23 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Cheers Scoakat.
I prefer this layout as it's more user friendly.

9:26 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

We always do white bathrooms. It's so easy to change the colour any time you like. That said.... it's always blue :)

8:19 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Ha BW! I fully agree. Blue or green accessories.

10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home