Saturday, March 23, 2013


Excuse me whilst I dust off the cobwebs and air the blog... it's been a while.
I expect to be blogging to an empty space but my own fault as I have neglected this site of late.

Sadly it is still winter out there despite todays date. It is cold, wet and after tonight the roads will be icy and treacherous under foot. Perfect excuse to stay in, keep warm and catch up on all the TV and radio  I have missed this past week. Work remains as busy as ever although I do have some news on that front. I have bitten the bullet and opted for early retirement this summer. I have had more than enough of the excessive mileage, high fuel and car repair costs, the internal NHS politics and the stress all of this causes me. I will have to carry on working but I can work part time, either for the NHS, privately or for an agency. I intend to have a couple of months off and enjoy some much needed R & R. I hope there will be some sunshine this summer  but I could always go off in search of the sun although possibly not to Cyprus. It will be the first time in thirty five years that I will not be employed. A scary but also liberating feeling in that I may be able to make some choices about what I want to do next. Work wise it will be nursing but I can return to the Open University (Have you seen the prices?!!), follow up some genealogy particularly in the USA, buy the campervan I have hankered after for the past two years, recommence sailing lessons... I will be time rich for a blessed change. More importantly I might be able to enjoy a balanced life with a reasonable social life, something I have missed over the last three hectic years. I just have to plough through the next three months as I become demob happy and hope my car lasts the pace.

On a more sombre note Mrs C's mother died last week so we have been dealing with that and it has reinforced my belief that I have made the right decision. Life goes on and sadly death is an inevitable part of the cycle of life. One of my work colleagues suggested I could work with the Inuit in Nunavut but I'm not sure I could cope with any more snow. There is also the little matter of having a hernia operation at some point before I am fit enough to do anything adventurous. The money looks good and what an adventure... maybe in 2014 once my health is sorted out (waiting lists permitting). I can also spend some quality time with my mother in the land of the East Saxons this summer. Are all the youngsters in Essex still bright orange with bright white teeth and available for television? I still can't convince her to come to Grimsby as she states her travelling days are over. For now, keeping warm and learning the spells to bring good weather as I enjoy my weekend off.          
TTFN.

p.s. I had better look up that record as I could be promoting a dreadful song... *Heads for youtube*.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

First off, congrats on the early retirement. I just don't know how you put up with all that travel and stress. I know you will still have to work, but I hope your next endeavor is a healthy and happy one. You must let me know if you come stateside!

I'm also sorry for your loss. Go see your mom. She'd love it.

9:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Mrs C's Mum, always difficult times but also opportunities for reflection and re-alignment of priorities. Very brave decision you're making but I think its the right one. You've worked too damned hard for seemingly too little recognition in all of the years I've known you - good on yer!
Seany
(posting as Anon as my Blogger ID name has now apparently become my real one!)

6:33 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks you both for your kind regards. Mrs C using coping mechanism #1 : wine.

8:12 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

So sorry to read about your MIL. My condolences to you both. Hope you are getting through all that needs getting through at these times.

Early retirement (me) / semi-retirement (him) is highly recommended. It does have to be said that the main reason for the just semi-retirement is to keep the private healthcare the company provide for a bit longer...

But... how short-sighted of the NHS to treat loyal and highly trained, skilled and experienced staff in such an appalling way that they want to leave.

I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but the new changes can only be for the better. How is it that if I go to a private hospital I get seen on time, treated like a real person and with respect and courtesy, but if I see the same staff in the NHS I am just a number who isn't even worth apologising to when I've been kept waiting two hours, and who isn't given any choice over appointments? There are so many things that could so easily be improved in the NHS - and given that there is no extra money, the new providers will jolly well have to pull their socks up and be a bit more sensible. Personally I think that some experienced managers from private industry should be brought in to sort things out and the current 'top managers' given their P45s. Bring back Matron and Chief Medics.

5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home