Monday, January 21, 2013

Thanks to old Leg Iron* for this Fifty things to do before you die. I usually glance at rubbish like the article, perform a quick scan and mentally tick off items and I then just as quickly forget all about it. But this time I will unashamedly copy LI and tick off the items on my blog. The ones I have completed: 8, 14 (very bad guitar and happily all forgotten now), 26, 35, 38, 48 and 49.

Those I intend to do are as follows:
5. An obvious one as I gradually work towards freeing myself (are we ever truly free?) from the dead pledge.
13. I would like to travel to India but we'll see how the retirement "plan" works out (see Silk Road below).
21. This is a work in progress as I studied French at school and German in evening classes. Every now and again I revisit the French language and realise that I have a long way to go.
29 and 41. I would like a small boat and I may possibly realise my desire to buy a small camper van in a couple of years time. I have no desire to own a yacht and as for a Winnebago around NZ... I prefer the idea of the Romahome tour of Scotland for the old castles and various whisky distilleries. The latter is most definitely achievable and I believe it would be more fun and I'll get to see the Northern Lights.
42. Never invite disappointment...

A lot of the other suggestions on the list do not interest me. I had plans to follow the Silk route but given the propensity for the West to invade, kill or just plain annoy the locals I have crossed that plan off my list (Syria, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan). Seriously (31, 32, 36, 45 & 47), why would I want to "achieve" these things.
On my alternative list is a desire to study local history, grow fruit and veg, brew beer, keep cats and enjoy the fruits of all of these realistic achievements. These are things I am already doing but I plan to continue doing more of when retirement beckons which hopefully is now not too far away. Anything on that list already achieved or appeals to you?
TTFN.

* You can find Leg Iron on my blog list to the side. He isn't to everyone's taste but I enjoy his blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Wow. Neat list, if a bit depressing. Achieving #1 would go a long way to crossing more things off this list, though. I think all I've managed is #42. I met Ace Frehley twice back in the nineties.

11:30 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

I met a few "celebs" including some whom I admired... sadly not after a few minutes in their company. One exception was meeting the Monty Python crowd when I was 13 They were lovely, friendly and had lots of patience with a group of spotty little teenagers.

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home