Monday, December 06, 2010

I've just had a weekend familiar to many across our white and icy land. Digging my car out twice, digging out the work pool car and gingerly driving everywhere we went. The main roads during the day were ok but the side roads were truly awful. The evenings saw motor dancing on ice so we couldn't do any visits after 5 pm. The rural areas have seen -10 and down to -13 celsius in many areas. The morning radio show reported -17 in one area. I asked our previous team lead a few years ago to invest in one decent 4x4 or to equip the team with Fiat Panda 4x4's so that we could get out and about. Sadly I was ignored and the pool cars we have are useless in this weather. C'est la vie, common sense doesn't travel to management levels.
Most drivers on the roads have been good but there are still complete and utter twats out there. The lorry driver who tailgated and flashed me the other night just didn't get it. All he achieved was my slowing right down and frustrating him further. Fog, snow and ice obviously equate to excellent driving conditions for him. As for the twat in the large 4x4 who decided to park right in the middle of a busy road and refused to move until the large truck driver pointed out the error of his ways. Great street theatre! Today I have a long journey into the midlands for an urgent assessment which the weather had delayed. Hello motorways, more ice and fog plus the assortment of road traffic delays. I am certainly not looking forward to the journey but I guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and go for it, after allowing time for the roads to hopefully thaw out.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

It was similarly -13C when I got up this morning. -9C was the high today. The big difference is we only got 3.7" of snow from the other night. All you can do is deal with it as best you can when you get it. Best of luck, Del.

10:59 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Cheers Scoakat. Happily I didn't have to go because the person's circumstances had changed for the better.

7:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home