Tuesday, November 09, 2010

I'm back from the wilderness...well, a busy workload and a non-stop demand for my services over the past few weeks kept me from blogging. All work and no play meant I had little to blog about. In both of my jobs I and my colleagues have acquired more work. As the axe is wielded in social services my role as a best interests assessor means training the care homes as well as the NHS staff. Our boss also had a 100 Watt moment and we have been asked to perform a research project. He appears to have forgotten we work part time as well as working in other jobs. More grist to the mill... I have also been 'asked' to train next year as an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP), an ASW in the old parlance. That means I will have the power to section people and detain them in hospital. Not a task I am looking forward to and I freely admit I am not sure I want to do it. Happily, because the crisis team is extremely stretched one lot of management are refusing to release people for AMHP training as it would mean five months seconded away to university and field training with another team. Fingers crossed that I will not be released for the training. Oddly enough I have more responsibility and fewer resources when assessing people in crisis compared to the AMHP work. But AMHP work includes all sorts of headaches which quite frankly I can do without and I prefer to leave it to younger colleagues who still possess bags of energy, enthusiasm and a belief in psychiatry. Given the current management approach to savings i.e. cut front line staff and frighten the other buggers into increasing their workloads, I may have to bite the bullet and do the training. Negotiations have begun and undoubtedly managerial meetings, emails and bickering will ensure my ears burn over the next few weeks.

On the home front life remains much the same with No.1 son settled into his work and college routine. The latter I do find bizarre and it explains the mess UK education is in. My son has a two year City & Guilds course, the first year of which mirrors most of the course he did last year. He is not allowed to count this as previous learning and jump to the second year of the course. Politics and college financing are priotitised, not the student's needs. This means he is bored and fed up with college although he has knuckled down and he attends for the one day per week. Otherwise he is happy and chasing up the badges of adulthood... a driving licence and a passport for a planned holiday abroad next year. He is spending too much of his hard earned money on his girlfriend but it is his money and he'll learn to eventually budget.

Anyway, here's the beginning of the gradual descent into the commercial madness that is Christmas...TTFN.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill Sticker said...

You will be able to 'section' people? How many others will have to agree with your judgement?

5:10 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Two doctors: one a section 12 qualified doctor & the other a GP. Most AMHP's have alot of experience in mental health & few people are placed in hospital under the M H act. I still feel uncomfortable with the power involved and I guess it's good to feel troubled in questioning it.

6:36 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I was enjoying this update until you swore in the last para ;)

8:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home