Wednesday, September 18, 2013


There's a painted cross on our front door and people cross the street when passing whilst covering their mouths... It's that time of the year when we are afflicted by various agues and ailments. Mrs C. has had the flu over the past week and is still suffering. No.1 son was sent home from work despite his protestations that he was fit for work and I have also caught the leurgy. The scent of Vick's vapour rub, Olbas oil and lemony drinks pervades the Catto household and tissues are in abundance. Having said that I am plodding on as I have a sore throat and a cough but I am otherwise well. My OH however has had a dreadful week confined to bed and hidden under the duvet. Hopefully she is on the mend and she has her appetite for food back.

Blue Witch's latest blog post (see sidebar) has prompted me to consider ageing after I had a video skype conversation with a friend this morning. We have known each other for over forty years but I hadn't seen him for several years until today's video. I don't believe he has changed much but I was aware that he had aged since I last saw him. There is a photo somewhere of his sister and me as babies in a sunlit garden from 1961  which shows how long we have known each others family. I am, apparently, the baby sitting in an enamel bucket! He will be popping over from Switzerland to see me in November and I will be travelling over to see him and his family next spring. It was good to chat but it made me realise "Where have the years gone?" afterwards. We also talked about a couple of friends whom we have lost all contact with and would like to see again. With regard to ageing... I am lucky in that I will be 53 this year but I look several years younger although my hair now has grey at the temples and when I grow a beard it is streaked with grey. I'm happy with that because ageing is inevitable although the various aches and pains in my bones is not welcome. I also dress very much for comfort these days and I regard a T shirt and jeans as formal wear. For sartorial elegance I look to the Time Team presenters and particularly Mick Aston before his untimely death.


Happily Mrs C. prefers to dress for comfort and accepts me for the scruffy bugger that I am.

I have signed up for two courses with one being a short term course via the internet on England in the time of Richard the Third with FutureLearn . The other is something I have been interested in for a while and I signed up for Wisdom of the Craft which will run over the next year. I do wonder what with my having three cats, a scruffy appearance and my interest in witchcraft whether this may be my future ...

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Erm, sorry.

I found out by accident (internet stalking) that a schoolfriend of mine is starting a 3 year university course today. She didn't get to go when she was 18 as she was up to her neck in decadent living/sleeping rough at Greenham Common.

Her eldest is 19 and also off to university.

I feel very old.

9:51 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Nowt wrong with creature comforts either. Or Witchcraft, come to that ;) If you need any assistance, I'm always pleased to give spelling lessons :)

9:54 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Oh, and, just discovered FutureLearn is currently free. Interesting. Dare I do "The secret power of brands"? ;)

9:59 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

FutureLearn is currently free and it's worth having a look at what's on offer.
My three cats and the dog remind me daily of the ageing process. Molly looks decidedly wobbly on her back legs and Tigger sleeps 24/7 when she's not scrounging for food. Their priorities include grabbing a comfortable place near the radiator.

11:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home