Saturday, May 11, 2013




I beg to differ...
I have taken the leap into the 21st century and I now have a new all singing and dancing mobile phone. My sad Dad basic model had started to misbehave so after much umming and erring I finally took the plunge. A new shiny Samsung Galaxy S3 mini and I could not be more delighted. The sat nav facility helped me navigate my way around Leicester the other day, internet access, music, phone of course, etc... I still have a childlike wonder at new technology and compare what we have now with what was available as a teenager; Phone boxes, pen and paper. For my son and his generation this is taken for granted but I am still amazed and delighted by it all. Even the childish delight in using a favourite song as a ringtone shows how easily pleased I am.
I have been back at work for two weeks now and my boss has finally realised the toll work has taken on my health. I have been eased back into the job with assessments only as I have now refused to do any of the training work. The latter is enjoyable but when competing interfering managers with their own agendas come barging in and create unnecessary problems, that was the final straw for me. I finish on July 1st and will have some time off although I have already had enquiries about doing some work nearer home. I intend to carry on working but primarily in nursing, a return to my job of old in many ways but fewer hours and as little mileage as possible. What I have discovered is that knowing I am going I feel free to relax, concentrate on the face to face work with patients and enjoy the work; Liberated in fact. I have also discovered another two colleagues of my generation have retired as well. They had had enough of the bullying, manipulative and devious culture with change for the sake of any change promoted as "progress". It is frightening to look at the cuts in services, the whittling away of staff and resources on the frontline whilst managers and the administration structure continue to expand. I will have interesting stories for the future about my time as a nurse in the NHS. Sadly, although the NHS needed a thorough root and branch pruning it now exists in name only. For those who still do not understand what has happened to the NHS one only needs to look at current dental services or veterinary services for your pets. Insurance schemes, cash/credit cards or for the poor a basic service (Blue Cross). Before anyone bashes the Tories, Blair and the other "tory-lite" acolytes of new labour are also responsible for this sad situation. Hopefully we may have a health service model similar to those in France and Germany although the worry is that we'll go down the US route. A mixed health economy of insurance and state / private providers may be the best model to emerge from all of this. Anyhow, I will step off the soap box as I have chores to attend to. For those folks kind enough to enquire after my health I am better and thank you for your words of kindness and support. Post retirement I intend to look at some voluntary work to repay my knowledge and experience back into society. With Seany's prompting I believe it's also time to start donating blood again. I used to do the latter many years ago but I got out of the habit.
TTFN.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Pleased that the last few weeks seem set to pass more easily than those of late, and good to hear of your future plans.

Nil carborundum etc.

I still say that the NHS would have died years ago were it not for the 'help' given to it by those of us who have private healthcare (either self-funded or as part of a salary package). On which perk we pay tax at our highest rate...

If they charged a nominal amount to see a GP (even a couple of quid) people would think twice before trotting along with a hurty finger. And as for the A&E story this week...

7:00 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Ahh.... A & E stories. Mind you, government desires to blacken the NHS, create discord & the tame media propagating these tales always makes wary of the "news". Admittedly, there is a lot of waste, stupidity and downright self interest / protectionism within various professions within the NHS but the agenda of this govt. is plain to see. I would love to see the figures for the help given to the NHS by private healthcare, possibly not as high as one would imagine. On the other hand, the various professionals trained with the aid of the tax payers (state funding) money over the years certainly benefitted both the NHS and private healthcare.

2:49 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

... always makes me wary...

Too much rush and the inevitable typo!

2:51 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Congrats on your new phone, I have yet to make the leap past my land line. Recently I feared my ipod had finally died recently so I was facing the question of maybe finally getting an iphone like my wife, but it has recovered and lives on letting me push that decision off further into the future.

I'm happy for you that the end is in sight, the demands and travel sounded insane to me. I'm also very happy that you have plans for the future, and want to give back still. All my best, Delcatto.

8:11 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

'Recently' it happens to the best of us.

8:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home