Friday, August 12, 2022

 Hooray! Finally arrived at my days off although we have some 'spring' cleaning of the model room and tidying up to do. I enjoyed an hours modelling followed by two hours sat out in the garden soaking up the sunshine. One benefit to early nights and waking up at 5.30 a.m. and allows me to enjoy a full day of activities.


Yesterday I took a slow meander between visits and encountered roads full of partridge. I assume they have just been released for the game shooters...in my opinion not much of a game for tame defenceless birds and they were everywhere! I drove very slowly down the hill at this point to allow them time to move away. I then encountered a bicycle road race over the next ten miles but happily I was in no hurry and pulled over to take a water break as I received the message of a cancelled visit.


I also discovered a church new to me and added it to my list of places to explore. There are also a lot of barrows around this area and abandoned mediaeval villages plus it is great for walking as the hilly part of Lincolnshire. I have a variety of old ordinance survey maps for this and other parts of Lincolnshire and this could be where I have traits of ASD as I love old maps, collect them and enjoy studying them.

One benefit of the hot weather is that the three moggies are able to tolerate being in the same proximity without a scrap breaking out. This photo was taken the day after we finally had the garden wall repaired and the front garden cleared of rubble on the same day! What I can't do is the tree as there is a pigeons nest and we aren't sure if there are eggs in the nest. So the work will wait a further few weeks as I return to my original plan of cutting the tree down in the autumn. I have also booked the electrician next month for what I now know is a day and quarters work. Once that is completed we plan to install a new front door and that will be the building work completed for this year leaving us to redecorate at our leisure. It feels good to know that jobs that needed doing for many years are now being completed. Come the end of the year and I can consider what we do next although my fourteen year old car is increasingly creaky and noisy and that might need replacing. 


We are also now officially in a drought here in Lincolnshire although reservoirs are reportedly 80% full and the forecast for next week is thunderstorms and rain...much needed rain. The above is a bottle of whisky I ordered and I whet my whistle last night to celebrate the end of the damp course work and in anticipation of the drought and inevitable hosepipe ban. It is cask strength so to be treated with respect and just a wee drappie now and then.

TTFN.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Good to hear some good news, glad things are getting done for you.

115 proof - oy! What happened last night..?

7:09 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Just the one wee drappie as it needs to be treated with great respect. A lovely Malt and I will try to identify the distillery.

12:27 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

You have better control than I. I wouldn't get blackout drunk but I'd likely have a second. Cheers!

5:22 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

There is a shortage of pheasant for shooting this year (we are told) as most of the pheasant hatcheries are in France and shoots weren't able to get the chicks to raise they usually get. Brexit or congestion at the ports or something. Supply of partridge, however, has not been affected. I chat to the Estate gamekeeper often. Keep your friends close but your enemies closer... ;)

Isn't 115 proof what the Americans call 'overproof'? I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol that might be similar, with a bit of molasses added for colour...

Pleased your works are almost complete.

6:35 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

It is overproof BW which I hadn't realised when I ordered it as I assumed it was 47.5 %. It will be saved and savoured for special occasions only!

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home