Sunday, July 31, 2022

 No.1 son back from Sweden and he had a thoroughly good time there and he is impressed by the work on the house. Some normality now returning to the home front although I have now received a quote for the electrical work required. That should only take one day but the eye watering quote from a large national company will see me looking for a local electrician with a more realistic price. More importantly I am trying to capture our semi-feral cat Maisie who has injured her tail as I discovered this morning but she remains elusive. Having seen something similar with Tigger many years ago I suspect a cat bite so we'll lure her in and off to the vets for a check up and treatment. Here she is in younger days...


One fly in the ointment of returning to a quieter life is that of the local drug dealer / nuisance who has returned. He has called at our house late at night, usually under the influence and badgering for a variety of things but we keep the front door securely locked. Last night at about midnight he was back and after a polite 'Go away' I eventually loudly and bluntly told him where to go and never return. I will contact our local police as he has also been calling at neighbours houses, most of them very elderly and his clientele have again been making a public nuisance. 

I like living here as it is in the centre of town near the river and  everything is easily accessible. It is also very quiet outside of rush hours and the working day. But with an increase of anti-social nuisance behaviour and the future plans for development of the area I do wonder what it will be like a few years from now. Sue would like to move to a quieter area but having lived in one of the nearby 'villages' (increasingly a suburb) and heartily disliked some of the people living there (Think of Mrs Bucket pronounced Bouquet!), I do prefer down to earth areas and the future plans might rejuvenate this area. I am also aware that a few years from now we might not need a car and cycling / public transport might be preferable. We might also have sensible central and local governments that support cheaper sustainable public transport and cycling. But locally more and more houses are multiple temporary occupancy with absentee landlords and the loss of neighbourliness. For now I am happy to stay here as it is home and I like it here. It is odd to think that our house, if moved to London would be worth ten times its current value and much sought after. For today I am staying indoors as it is raining and very welcome it is although I shall return again to catching the above pictured little bugler.

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

We have much of the original wiring, so have discussed having our electrical updated, more plugs, etc, but my wife and I have different thoughts as to what that may cost. The need may be more for peace of mind and convenience, but I'd like to get a quote. I fear I may be as surprised at the cost as you were.

I do hope your neighborhood improves, even losing the nuisance dealer would be a great improvement. It only takes a few to sour it for all, unfortunately.

Good luck wih Maisie!

10:24 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Having done some research it seems this is pretty much the going price, give or take a hundred quid. I guess it is the safety aspect of the job and cost of having a skilled electrician complete a good job. Better safe than sorry where electrics are concerned and I think our electrical box is probably fifty years old!

7:16 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Trades just make up prices, because there is so much work around they can pick and choose. These days, a plumber, electrician or joiner is going to make more money over a lifetime than almost anyone with a so-called university degree. If I had kids I'd be encouraging them to do an appenticeship straight from school and get a trade, rather than end up with huge amounts of debt and no certainty of a job.

I'm amazed that the police don't arrest the drug dealer and customers. You'd think it would be easy pickings to clear up a lot of ASB and petty crimes to fund habits. Can you get your local Councillor or MP to encourage the police to do their job (eg by citing the elderly neighbours and night time nuisance visits)?

I hope that redevelopments in your part of town don't lead to an influx of Bucket types. And yes, the regional variation in house prices is utterly ridiculous.

Now that you have (nearly finished) future-proofed your house, it is sensible to stay, particularly as it can provide all you need now and in the future. Good luck with the final things.

8:34 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Spot on BW. It was the reason my son started his electrician training.

We have a theory about the drug dealer, that he is a grass and police use him in between his brief stays at HM pleasure. I think I'll try the local councillor first as they will take up the case.

I am keen to stay here because I can forsee a time when living in the town centre beats living in the suburbs. I just need to chase up the removal of the rubble they have left behind.

7:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home