Tuesday, February 28, 2017


An absence of three weeks and not a lot to say, hence the absence. The usual litany of work, illness ( Do NOT buy reduced chicken tikka rolls even if the use by date is that day!), looking at the social media bubblesphere with amusement and horror and just the daily grind as winter slowly releases its grip upon us. The above monster Maisie has added further tricks to her repertoire by eating through foil packets to obtain the food therein. I continue to be woken up by the wuss Sherlock in the early hours because of his anxiety about Maisie. All in all it is business as usual as I await a start date for my new job.
I was minded to blog today as I listened to the radio whilst showering and the Clash came on. The presenter blethered on about them and I recall seeing them play live on several occasions.


At the time and even now, they are a band I have mixed thoughts and feelings about. On the one hand they played some very good music and they also opened peoples eyes to new political ideas, for good or bad but, I also considered them a bunch of poseurs and opportunists. This led to some lively debates with friends of whom one was a diehard Clash fan. Listening to this album now brings back many memories but I didn't come to punk until late '77 after I had turned seventeen. We were already visiting pubs and seeing a variety of bands many of which I really cannot recall or there are snippets of memories. One of the latter is seeing a large band in The Dublin Castle pub which had the American lead singer playing trombone! They played a mixture of jazz-rock and blues but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the band. In fact Camden was our preferred stomping ground to see live music when not travelling up west. Watching The Clash play live was exhilarating, noisy and huge fun as was watching The Ramones, The Jam, The Damned and apparently Blondie. I have no memory of seeing Blondie play live although friends stated I did see them play. I did see them at a record store when signing albums during their first tour of the UK amongst a huge crowd of fans.

Hey ho, memories of youth and a time when the world was fresh, exciting and full of possibilities for a teenager with a rich music scene on my doorstep. I read about how dire the UK was during the seventies. Described as grey and monotone with doom and gloom for the main course and afters, usually from people who weren't born until the eighties or even nineties who have garnered their one sided view from the media. I was lucky in that I happened to be the right age and at the right time and particularly in the right place as London was exciting and there was opportunities galore. As a typical teenager I wasted most of them! For now, I shall luxuriate in revisiting those memories as I listen to punk and new wave from that era.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

That was an incredible era for music, and it sounds like you very much were in a great area for it at a great time. I'm a bit envious. I bet you could come up with a few good stories about back then.

11:01 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks Scott. Occasionally a memory pops back but most of it blurs into one.

2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home