Sunday, January 29, 2017

Well... that was a week I have no wish to repeat. The loss of Sandy, a MRI scan not going as planned and a job interview saw my stress levels soaring past eleven on the volume knob. The house feels empty without her presence and lots of things remind us of her. Sadly, her back legs went completely and I had to make the decision at the vet appointment to euthanise her. She had a wonderful life and we spoilt her rotten. When her ashes are returned we intend to scatter them at her favourite spot near the dock.
 The MRI scan did not happen as squeezing my large body into a very narrow tube resulted in a panic attack and I scarpered very quickly. I will focus on gentle exercises and physio techniques to reduce the discomfort because I shan't be attending for any further scans. The job interview is for a hospital liaison post and I have been offered the job. Three days a week and I can cycle or bus to work if required as most of the work will be in A & E (emergency department) or on the wards. Assessing emergency or urgent psychiatric referrals. The days are long and potentially there will be odd weeks where I work four days but I am happy with this. No more case loads and the paper work is significantly less, although targets and stressful difficult decisions are still part of the job.
 So all in all an 'interesting' week which hasn't been improved by the current outbreak of feline wars in the household. Sherlock either hides under our bed or in the garden to escape Maisie who has turned into a monster.  She is asserting her dominance but despite a variety of interventions including felaway she continues to harass and stalk poor Sherlock. Sadly, I think we will have to re-home Maisie because she has started on the other two cats and she is not changing her behaviour. It's a shame because she is a lovely little cat but it may be that she needs to be the only cat in the household. But today the sun is shining and it is relatively mild (Balmy by your standards Scoakat!) so I intend to enjoy the day. I hope your day is a good one too.
TTFN.

5 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Sorry about Sandy, and Maisie seems difficult - good luck with her.

I've had several MRIs, I just keep my eyes shut and concentrate on the music in my headphones. I do get a bit claustrophobic but luckily always made it through. I've never been in one, but these days they have 'Open' MRIs, same machine but much more open so you don't get so buggy. That might be worth looking into, or at least asking about.

And yes, we're not the coldest place here in Wisconsin, but we certainly have our moments!

10:48 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Oh, and congratulations on the new job! Cheers!

10:51 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you Scott.
I will ask about open MRI scanners but I suspect locally we haven't yet caught up with the latest technology as there isn't any money for it.
I am awaiting the confirmation letter for the job and I spoke with various managers to clarify a starting date but with no success. I suggested a start date for March and that's what I will be expecting but we'll see.

3:15 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Congrats on the new job. Hope it is an improvement.

The MRI unit staff are usually great at helping claustrophic people - was there not a question about that on the pre-MRI form you have to fill in? Usually they pick it up and talk to you to see how they can help before they start. Whenever I've had to have one, Mr BW is allowed in the room and holds my foot. Which works really well. Not sure they have open MRI scanners in the UK yet...

8:28 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you BW.
They did and I didn't think I was claustrophobic because I used to go caving as a teenager. Sadly, I somewhat freaked out and I had to come out. It's not an experience I wish to repeat.I suspect it is the lack of control whereas caving involved me making decisions and moving around.
I am heading down to Colchester on Friday for an overnight stay so I will be in your neck of the woods.

8:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home