Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pinch & punch, first of the month and no returns.

Welcome to autumn, "the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, close bosom friend of the maturing sun...."  as Keats put it although I also like Verlaine's more sombre Chanson d'automne with it's overtones of decay and death. Autumn is the season I like best with the peppery scent of decaying leaves, woodsmoke and the chill creeping in as the evenings draw in. A melancholy fool perhaps but I enjoy walking at this time of the year. Particularly through the woods and kicking up leaves although they haven't yet fallen in any great numbers.



With a decent camera and regular working hours I may now have time to photograph autumn scenes as well as the usual photos of the daft dog. The nearest wood is a good two miles away and sadly I am no longer sure the pooch could manage to get there and back plus an hours walking through the woods. Having said that she coped well with the five mile walk we did the other day although I am still hobbling somewhat... I overdid the pace setting out. I will have to set out early in the day as the woods tend to attract the usual  ne'r do wells and scrotes with mischief  in mind. Yesterday, my son spotted a woman in a large mercedes snorting cocaine off the dashboard. All of this in broad daylight near the main road. With the local alkies carousing into the early hours of each morning and blatant drug deals happening most days plus the obvious urban decay it really does feel like this town is dying and society is fragmenting. But it is autumn and mellow fruitfulness should be the focus of this post. The garden has provided several more tomatoes and a couple of chillies plus our excllent neighbours blackberry bush has provided an abundance of berries as well as some of their delightful apples. I will be exploring recipes for a slimming world crumble one of these autumnal evenings.
TTFN.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home