Tuesday, January 04, 2011












We woke up to snow again this morning as No.1 coughed and spluttered his way off to work. Happily there wasn't too much of it so fingers crossed for travelling to work tomorrow. The traffic news this morning reported 'difficulties' on particular hills on two of my possible routes to work. The usual icy roads and vehicles stuck either side of them. I wonder how people managed with horse and carts in ye olden dayes? They generally commuted, if at all, within a very small area so travelling fifty miles across the county was truly a journey to a foreign land. I guess coach or cart travel was cancelled until the journey was possible or one walked. The gentry could resort to horseback but I can't imagine steep icy hills and horseshoes ending happily. That's a cue to google for an answer... a general piece about shoeing horses as well as this one although this article appears to answer the question for modern riding. I have to confess to being wary of horses because they are large and I am unfamiliar with them. I have ridden horses in the past and there is a family story of me aged five years clambering on to a large white horse in Ireland and racing around a field as I clung on for dear life. I can't remember that incident although I do remember the neighbours white horse. With the ever increasing price of fuel we may have to return to horses although I will opt for bicycles instead. Easier to control, don't bite back and easier to shoe.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Jones said...

Our roads and pavements are still pretty scary, too - bad enough in the car let alone on a horse.

XX

10:21 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Perhaps speeding motorists who are banned should be riding bicycles, horses and donkeys!

11:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home