Friday, December 31, 2010

The past week has been an odd one, betwixt and between Christmas and the New Year. I have been busy at work but it seems most people have been on holiday. Telephoning a variety of agencies and professionals only to discover they aren't expected back until January although I need information or an answer immediately. Travelling the empty fog laden roads is certainly a bonus especially since I can drive leisurely, although the view ends where the fog grows more thickly.
It has also been odd for another reason. I found out a work colleague died suddenly and unecpectedly last week at the age of fifty-two years. It certainly came as a shock and made a few of us stop and consider life. We placed that sudden death within the context of the crazy merry-go-round of work and everyday life. Morale at work is low and the general consensus was that much of the nonsense we deal with is inconsequential. Targets, plans, charts, ticky boxes, etc... is nonsense when we think of someone whose family and friends have to come to terms with their loss. Sadly, a blunt reminder that life is precious and should not be taken for granted.

We will have a quiet night in tonight, a few beers and some music or a good radio show. I gave up on the celebrations a few years back because I believe there is nothing really special about the change between years. There are other opportunities throughout the year to celebrate and I believe you make your own life rather than the 'magickal' qualities of a year change. Selfishly, I really cannot be bothered to drive 160 miles to spend the new year with family but after driving 400 miles over the past three days at work I am sick and tired of driving. We also plan to have Christmas dinner tomorrow to make up for me working over Christmas including the Christmas pud saved for the occasion! So I can only say...

I wish all my readers a healthy, prosperous and happy 2011.
TTFN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Seany said...

Sorry to hear about your colleague. I was at Andy's Mum's funeral this week and you have to sympathise with families trying to deal with their grief in the midst of the other nonsense going on.

My plans for this evening are similar to yours, with the possible exception of watching the comedy festival on Channel 4. Could do with a good giggle to round off this year!

Wish you & yours all the best for 2011 :o)

4:04 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Sorry to hear about your colleague.

It's always good to get some perspective in the midst of this crazy world - although not in this way, and particularly not at this time. I hope your managers and their bosses have taken note...

Happy New Year to you too.

4:40 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you both for your good wishes.
Seany, I'd gathered Andy's Mother had died. Give him my commiserations and I hope all is well with him.
BW - The managers are very thick skinned and only care about their own skins. Some of them are being 'culled' this month so we have our fingers crossed that a couple of particularly despicable characters are kicked out.

7:22 pm  
Blogger Suzanne Jones said...

A sudden death always makes one think about the important things in life. I'm so sorry about your colleague.

All the best to you and your family for 2011.

XX

8:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home