The last of my presents was opened last night and a wee drop of English Whisky. I wasn't sure what to expect but this gets a massive thumbs up! It plus the other whiskies should see me through the winter and will be very welcome if it turns out to be a cold one.
I also cracked it open to celebrate as I received confirmation from the Land Registry that the mortgage is completely paid off. Oddly enough they paid some money back into my account but I still haven't received any correspondence from them. I'll chase that up on Monday with a phone call, cancel the direct debit and the mortgage insurance and then relax. It does feel odd now as it is a milestone and had played a big part in my life for the last twenty six years since we took out our first mortgage on a two bedroomed flat in London.
I liked that flat and the area, Finchley was a lovely place to live. At that time a mixed neighbourhood, lots of Indians, Japanese and Russians as well as being a Jewish neighbourhood with great pubs and restaurants plus great parks. A very green area and behind our block (not the one above) was a small wood with owls and foxes. So a milestone and now time to take stock. There is a lot of work needed on the house and the damp course is crucial to this so that will be the first item on my agenda for next year. It does look like our house was built in 1902 and is now in need of well overdue TLC.
I had planned to travel to Colchester later this month but the latest wheeze of the government has put Essex into Tier 2 lockdown. This plus rumours of a complete 'circuit break' at that time is likely to put the kibosh on my plans. But my plans to look at local churches has paid dividends as a colleague in another team is a volunteer with a group that looks after old churches. He's aware of my interest and will pass my details to the group as I am willing to volunteer when I eventually move to part time work. If I can't travel down to Essex I'll do some walking and see some old local churches but I have also booked my car in for a service. To be honest I am just looking forward to escaping the grind by having a week off work and relaxing.
TTFN.


5 Comments:
I reckon you can (if necessary) plead the need to visit your Mum, given her age, due to MH and support issues, particulary in view of your profession. Take your NHS ID badge, and you're 'visiting a patient' aren't you?
"It does feel odd now as it is a milestone Or a millstone?
Well done, hurrah!
Lol. Yes,a millstone indeed BW.
I had thought of bringing my ID and pleading work / support. I have my car booked in for a service on my first day off and to have it looked at as some ominous knocking noises from the front end when I turn right. So if all goes well with that I might go on that errand of mercy!
I've not heard of anyone being stopped on long journeys down the A1. Haven't seen a single police car on any of our many trips either.
Enjoy the lack of traffic on the mian roads if/when you go!
English whisky? I never heard of such a thing, I'm glad it's good.
While I can be called a whiskey drinker I'm far from a connoisseur, mostly sticking to one of two brands with cola.
Another week off? I'm jealous! I hope you can get out and about.
Hooray! It's Friday.
Scott, there's a couple of English whisky distilleries now but this is the first I have tried and it is good.
Yes, eleven days off as we have been told to start using our leave entitlement. There is panic setting in amongst management as few of us have used any leave because of the demands made during covid and the lack of staffing across several community MH teams. Fingers crossed I can get out!
Post a Comment
<< Home