Wednesday, September 30, 2020


Today I popped out with my trusty camera to what I hope will the first of many visits to old Lincolnshire churches. Despite the weather there was a brief window of dry and blowy this afternoon so I visited St. Botolph's Church, Skidbrooke. A nice easy one to start with although it wasn't my first choice as the first church I visited is difficult to park at so Skidbrooke it is.


A gentle stroll from the parking spot and there was a chaps trimming the grass and generally tidying up. Once he had gone I was the only living soul there, marvellously tranquil and a joy to get outdoors and breathe some fresh air.


The church is empty and sadly attracts idiots who carry out satanic rituals and such like causing damage to the church.


A beautiful 13th century church in a very isolated area and sadly now redundant and open to the elements.



No noticeable atmosphere but I didn't expect anything and I suspect the various tales of ghosts and suchlike consists of the tall variety. At night, in fog or during a storm I can imagine there would be an atmosphere to promote supernatural tales.


It is one of those churches I have passed by umpteen times whilst working and never stopped off except once when I took a brief ten minutes to have a look and promised myself a longer visit.


Many of the grave stones are illegible but some are perfectly legible and I like to read the stones and imagine what their lives were like back then and what they would think of todays world. A quiet agricultural village but not too far from the sea.


There are some graves here for Merchant Sailors with many of them unknown, washed ashore during the second world war. One sailor is named but several are not, very sad but they at least have a resting place.


All in all, an enjoyable hour spent looking around, enjoying the peace and tranquillity away from the current madness of the world and a reminder that they were once as we are and to enjoy life.



My birthday was a quiet one with a few drinks with the immediate family, phone calls and on-line conversations with friends and every now and again, I'd catch myself and think "Blimey! Sixty years you auld bugger!" I have also started the process to pay off the mortgage but the promised email still hasn't arrived and I suspect it will arrive by post. I intend to wrap it up this autumn and pursue part time work as soon as possible. There is a possibility of doing a two year post grad course at work and I expressed an interest but I think I might pass on it. I want a better life / work balance and to pursue my own interests like the above. There are blogs out there like this one or perhaps this website and there was one I followed years ago but have since lost it that was very informative and had great pictures. What I enjoy is the research, the planning and then visiting the site. Not too dissimilar from the research, planning and building models! I hope you are all well and safe during the continuing craziness that is todays world. I intend to enjoy a glass or two of whiskey tonight and relax with a good book as I am now half way through my week off and thoroughly enjoying the rest.

TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

300 years old? Still looks solid, it's a shame to have it fall into disrepair. I don't know what it's like to live among relics many hundreds or thousands of years old, but I enjoy what I see from over here. Have a great week!

8:17 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you Scott.

The church was first built approximately 800 years ago and then added to over the ensuing centuries. I find it astonishing to touch and see the stones and think of all those involved with the church. The local dramas, petty quarrels, disputes, happy times with marriages and christenings and the sad times with funerals...and some marriages!

It's good during this period of profound changes and upheavals to be reminded that life just goes on, shit happens and many of us emerge blinking into the sunlight of tomorrow amidst the changes. It's witnessed wars, plagues, strife, famines and everyday quiet ordinary life with the seasons coming and going. Simply marvellous and fascinating.

12:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home