A welcome and much needed day off today as I took back some of my time owing as I am full of cold, tired and my right knee gave way on three occasions yesterday. I forgot to wear my knee support for the last two days and it bit me! I suspect when I have supervision next week with the stand-in manager he will ask why I booked this via late notice and we will have an interesting discussion about lack of staff, poor health and ageing, stress and the stupidity of senior managers and targets. I mentioned in comments to my last post that the team has had some interesting and informative discussions about the current situation (SNAFU) and our respective futures. Some people are planning to move on and others are retiring but I suggested my idea of returning to university to study full-time with some limited part-time work to ensure a reasonable standard of living. One of my colleagues did a Masters in conservation of cultural heritage and we now know why she is careful to earn only so much per annum as she has the student loan to repay. Her advice was very useful and I am researching loans and funding for the next academic year although I might wait until 2022. Much depends on the next several months and I would rather plan carefully in advance and then take the plunge.
Lincoln University and the Open University both have degrees in Classical Studies and that appeals to me. My focus would be on Latin & Greek language and late / post Roman history, particularly on the changes in western Europe following the break up of the empire. A big change and some consideration needed as I still have Sue and a household to maintain. It's likely I will have to have a further full-time year at work to pay for house repairs, etc...If I chose Lincoln University I would have to consider transport as well so the OU option might be a better one. Student loans are paid off as a percentage of ones earnings and only above a certain annual wage, hence the attractiveness of studying, having the course paid for via the loans which as a retiree in years to come means I am unlikely to earn above that limit. I have noted there is a limit to maintenance loans for over sixties so I will have to earn some money as my state pension is still several years away. I have finally decided that perhaps I should play the system!
Talking of part-time work I will again push my request for this to happen later next year. The team is struggling to find staff and the reputation of poor management and bullying is partly responsible for this. Hopefully this new manager will tidy things up but it currently feels like too little too late. As a nurse I can join the trust bank and work wherever I am needed which is another option but not one I would particularly like to do.
The above is the completed (95%) Cant Z501 Flying Boat in Spanish Civil War Nationalist colours. I've completed a few aircraft in Republican colours and I had considered painting it in the following colour scheme...
But I wanted to practice brush painting a silver-grey colour which was ok but somewhat drab in comparison. The next model up on the table is the Messerschmitt BF 109 and this will also be a Spanish Civil War colour scheme. As it is a basic kit I bought some aftermarket brass photo etch to build up the cockpit and other parts. That is a bottle cap and these have to be glued in using cyanoacrylate or superglue. Multiple tiny parts and superglue plus clumsy fingers is not a good combination!
I limit my time doing this work as it is time consuming and often very frustrating but gives excellent results when it eventually goes together.
It will keep me occupied during this latest stage of magic number 6, covid marshalls (finger men?) and CV-19 rules dreamed up by the government and applied to the everyday lives of people for a virus that is dissipating and joining all the other corona viruses out there. Given the mask, social distancing and hand washing, how is it I have yet another a cold? Rhetorical question as I know the answers and we should drop the restrictions and return to herd immunity.
Despite all of that I hope you all keep well and have a good weekend.
TTFN.




4 Comments:
Glad to hear you're hanging in there at work. Good to have options, even if they aren't attractive now they may be later.
I have half a mind to agree with you, to drop restrictions and what will be will be, but that could also be a disaster for many folks.
Those pieces are tiny! You must use a magnifier?
I agree about having some ambivalence about the restrictions but figures coming out of Sweden where they opted for herd immunity show no discernible difference in early figure reports for this years death rates compared to previous years.
I use a optimiser magnifier and boy. do I need it for the ordinary work let alone these miniscule pieces. kilt in light too and natural daylight lamp set up as well. I might extra lighting as well at times when the nights draw in.
Work, I'll plod on for this year and stick with my six month rule: et's see how I feel in March next year. I hope all is well with you.
I keep wondering whatever happened to previous coronaviruses (virii?) such as SARS and MERS. How did they never escape SE Asia, and how did they disappear? I am very puzzled, but still agree with Trump about it being 'China Virus'.
Fingermen are scary concepts.
How do we protect ourselves against all of this and bad management of everything these days?
Here you go BW.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-sars-virus-coronavirus-wont.html
Bad management is more difficult and my next post will provide an example of this.
Post a Comment
<< Home