Friday, August 07, 2020


I have completed the two builds that have sat on the desk for the past four weeks as I slowly worked through them. The above is a 1/48 scale SBD Dauntless by Revell in Royal New Zealand Air Force colours circa 1942. I have since added a pin wash using oil paints (ochre and brown) to weather the aircraft but it's put aside away from my fingers and the cats and will dry eventually.


The smaller 1/72 scale Heinkel He 162 is awaiting weathering but it is essentially finished. This is a small kit and I crazily bought some aftermarket brass parts to enhance the build. Tiny tiny tiny parts which can barely be seen and I realised I could have scratch built those extra pieces. But all in all a cheap and very very enjoyable build.  

Now...Imagine a team whose manager is now absent, either sick / working from home / temporarily assigned important desk duties, other staff off sick plus a long term absentee who is with another team and then it is discovered a lot of work has not been completed and people are expecting a service. Complaints are flying in from all over and whoever is the duty worker each day has to prioritise and deal with all of this plus their own caseload and the caseloads, clinics, etc...of the absent workers. Various managers coming in to 'help' as they have only just realised that team is about to collapse because of too few staff and too much work. Chaotic would be a mild description as the team members continue to function and do the important work of ensuring people are safe. Those hapless team members have requested extra staff but no sign of the seventh cavalry on the horizon as the wagons are circled. All of this happening amidst a major pandemic / shutdown just to add further spice to the mix.

Thankfully that is only an imagined scenario and couldn't really happen...?

Here is a picture of my next build with a sleepy Watson escaping the heat and supervising the work. Cats, models and music are great for reducing tension.


I have a couple of days leave booked so a long weekend and a much needed break from work. Last night required a takeaway meal and a lot of gin and I suspect others will be doing the same this weekend. Take care folks, it is hot out there and not just from the sun.

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Oh my. I complain about my mandatory overtime, but it's nothing like that 'imagined scenario.' Are you still considering the part-time job?

I hope you have a nice weekend. Cheers!

9:22 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

You mean the Royal New Zealand Air Force were using BW Blue 20 years before I was born? ;) Those models look great, and it's good that you have that hobby as a distraction from the chaos that is your working life.

In that 'Imaginary Scenario', perhaps one should find that one needs to self-isolate for 14 days? It's not a hole in a dyke that one can contain with the staff left, but a major breach that needs urgent engineering attention. The ones trying the finger method are likely to get drowned as the dyke bursts and the flood hits. IYSWIM.

In order to look after other people, one first needs to look after oneself. If one's employer is failing in their duty to protect employee wellbeing, then employees need to take their own action. Sorry to be bossy :)

7:38 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you folks.

I think next week will be more interesting than usual.I might suggest we have a team trip abroad, Calais or Boulogne. The mandatory fourteen days self isolation would be more enjoyable!

6:13 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

BW Blue: It's a lovely colour although I should have gone for a more faded look for realism.

6:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home