Some news from work as I have applied for a part time job in the team I worked in several years ago. A friend informed me an internal advert had gone out but it was for a social worker so I left it. The team manager then asked me if I was interested and she explained it was open to nurses and recruitment had made an error. My application went in that evening and I will await an interview date as I am keen to start making the changes needed to improve my health and wellbeing. It will be nearly nineteen hours a week with two long days, using team cars and crisis response work. I had spoken with my current boss a few weeks back about potentially reducing my hours and she responded with the enthusiasm of a cat disturbed from a nap. Talking of changes, I bit the bullet and joined the local fat fighters club which, as they all are, is a virtual one via computer and phone. My back isn't too bad but my right leg is causing me a lot of discomfort so reducing the weight and gentle exercise should help. My fingers are crossed for the job and I will prepare for any surprise interview questions although, whether it is human nature to seek a 'supernatural' answer, I wonder whether there is some 'divine' guidance at hand that caused my mind to blank out for an interview question on a topic I used to teach! I failed to gain that full time position but now have the opportunity for a part time position in the same team!
This is the latest work I have on the table, a SBD Dauntless in 1/48 scale and I am trying to obtain the correct shade of blue for an aircraft gifted by the USA to the New Zealand airforce circa 1942. I was pleased with the result so far only to discover from further research that some of them were in a darker blue, light blue and then grey colour scheme. A bit more research required but that is part of the joy of doing this hobby. I am brush painting and to avoid brush marks I am using very thinned layers of paint with a broad brush. I've moved on from buying any old brush paints to now paying out for quality brushes which are thoroughly cleaned after use and cosseted to maintain their effectiveness.
After saying I would abstain from buying any more kits I bought the one below as it cost me £7.00 including P & P.
It's a kit from 1965 and it shows as there are few parts and it is very basic. I have decided to upgrade the kit with some aftermarket parts I have ordered and some scratch building of parts. I am fascinated by the history of flight and the transition from propellor aircraft to the early jets is one particular area I enjoy. I have a couple of Messerschmidt 262's in the stash as well as the Vampire I built last year and I have an eye on buying an early Meteor as well. There are others on the list such as the Lockheed Shooting Star as I will start with those aircraft that were in production before the war ended. Moving to part time work will give me more time for modelling as well as other activities.
Another heavy week ahead as we continue with telephone contact but our face to face contacts for urgent work has increased and sadly, a lot of this is dealing with people who are in or approaching crisis. I seem to spend 40 % of my time dealing with the same five people and making no progress because of the lockdown and the reluctance of other agencies to attend until restrictions are further reduced. The whole Covid 19 lockdown and the accompanying nonsense has also contributed to my desire to reduce my working hours and I know of several other colleagues of a similar age to me who are planning on leaving or doing the same. Something does not smell right and I am keen to focus on home and loved ones, get back to gardening and growing fruit and veg and becoming more self sufficient. I also find I am tired and I ache from a lifetime of acquired and accumulated injuries and the final straw was the work injury from earlier this year. So a move to a job with fewer hours where the nature of crisis work is that when I finish for the day it all remains with the team and not come back after days off to umpteen emails asking me to do the impossible as I am the care coordinator for an individual will be very welcome. With these changes in lifestyle I might regain some of my former energy to do those things I have long wanted to do.
TTFN.


4 Comments:
Your rate of modelling is amazing! Glad you have such a good distraction from the impossible and thankless job you have to do with - it seems to me from reading -little proper support (as 'support' would have been defined years ago).
"whether it is human nature to seek a 'supernatural' answer, I wonder whether there is some 'divine' guidance at hand that caused my mind to blank out for an interview question on a topic I used to teach!"
Now, don't forget there are some of us who have real powers ;) (if that's true then there are two plumbers without genitalia this weekend!)
Mr BW, who has done a lot of interviewing in his time, for all sorts of roles at all sorts of levels, reckons that honesty is the best policy in that interview scenario: tell them exactly what is happening (as you've detailed here), and say that you'd rather be honest, as you try to be when doing your job and working with other people, and that generally wins you a lot of brownie points (is one even allowed to use that expression these days?). Maybe that's what you did and it didn't work, if so, apologies!
Wishing you all possible good luck with the interview. You're undoubtedly doing the right thing.
Thank you BW.
The woman interviewing me I have known for eighteen years and she is aware of the issues and that I want to reduce my hours. I even know her parents having worked with them years ago! Mr BW is spot on and honesty is the best policy.
That made me laugh about the plumbers. Damp conditions could lead to crotch rot!
Good luck with the job, it sounds perfect for you! Also good luck losing weight. I'm faced with the same reality here. My physical activity has diminished these last several months of pandemic. Walks help, but a just a drop in the bucket.
I saw the pics, but still - those poor plumbers!
Thanks Scott. Time for me to regain some control and take ownership of my diet.
Post a Comment
<< Home