Sunday, April 05, 2020

I'm still plodding on and keeping busy at work as our team has moved to a seven days a week service. Myself and a colleague worked yesterday although I am swapping to a day off during the week. Our manager returned from two weeks leave and was shocked to discover we had coped without her, organised everything as a collective, anticipated problems arising from the virus lock down and prepared for it. We are coping but we suspect the worse is yet to come. We had a discussion about the start of the virus as several of us remain convinced we had this last November / December. I ticked every box for the symptoms with fever spikes, the irritating cough lasting eight weeks although the breathlessness was the frightening part of the experience plus feeling exhausted. Another colleague described her husband having it for a week earlier this year and feeling wiped out for the week but gradually better as time went on.

I finally completed the latest build apart from the final weathering...


           The Airfix 1/72 scale Short Stirling bomber.

It is a big beast even in this small scale and I am struggling to display it somewhere away from the cats. Now that spring is here they are all lively apart from Watson who isn't his usual self. We noticed him limping but when I examined his leg and paw there were no wounds and he was fine with me prodding and poking at him. We are wondering if he might have arthritis and once the lockdown finishes we will take him to see the vet. Maisie has brought us three butterflies over the last 24 hours and I would like to capture her bringing her prey home to us. The loud meows, chirrups and the obvious pride she displays is wonderful. Slaughtering the butterflies unfortunately isn't. 


I also ordered in some books for the weeks ahead, the one above from an independent book seller as part of a campaign to keep small business' going and the ones below from the Tank Museum as they too need to earn money.


I will stop buying books for now as I have a stack of them awaiting me as well as a lot on the kindle. I have ordered one new kit of a plane I have wanted for a long time but that will be the last one for now. I bought it because it was going very cheap but displaying completed builds is becoming an issue. I also have ideas about completing what I have in the stash which consists mainly of aircraft and armour. and I can then focus on figures. They will push my skill levels as well as take up less space and I have in mind figures of Roman legionaries, knights, Crimean war figures, etc...However, the stash will take me at least a year to complete and I will have to put some shelves up to display them. 
I'm off for more tea, pull one of those books out, put my feet up and enjoy the rest of today as tomorrow it will be once more unto the breach. Take care out there folks.

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Ah, the Tank Museum. A long time ago, when I lived in Somerset and worked in Dorset, I ran a group for school refusers with an Education Welfare Officer. This was one of the places where we'd get the boys to go, as a staging post in getting them back to school. It was very successful!

That plane looks so real - without the background, it could pass for the real thing.

I can't believe that your manager was allowed to take 2 weeks off, at the present time. I wish I'd seen her face when she found out how well you'd all coped and planned without her!

The Black Feline is being very naughty too. She caught and ate a bird, judging by the feathers. I've never seen her do that before. 6 mice (uneaten, unknown for her) too (although that's her job, of course). And a beetle she's just terrorised for an hour before eating it.

Keep up the good work, and stay safe.

3:43 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you BW.

I worked over the weekend so off today although I had some phone calls to make which couldn't wait.

5:34 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Hope you're still doing OK. Thinking of you in these strained times. Is your wife OK?

6:15 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Hi BW and thank you. Yes she's ok but like many others quite anxious about Covid and lockdown. She's more worried about the feral youths and other assorted types in the streets.

7:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home