Thursday, February 27, 2020


A quick update as the weather has turned distinctly wintry with snow, sleet and rain and sunshine! An odd day of differing contrasts and definitely a day to stay in the warm. I have been working on the armoured car and the above picture shows a base coat of brush painted panzer grey. An accident with a small plastic bottle of grey paint led to this the other day...


That is the frantic efforts of a clumsy oaf attempting to clean up the explosion after I stupidly squeezed the blocked bottle. I briefly forgot the laws of physics and I will have to repaint the wall. Next time I will use a pin to poke at the blockage first!


The third photo is todays work with the airbrush and various shades applied for a modulated effect. Once dry, I will clear coat it and then add chipping and weathering effects with enamel washes, clear coat again and use oils to add further depth. It was a very cheap kit and a practice 'mule' for the various techniques and a bit of fun despite the modernist Banksy on the wall. I have stopped buying kits as I have more than enough to work on and it is paints, glues, thinners, etc...that I currently require.



It's taken five days off work to finally relax and stop thinking about work which has surprised me. I now realise how much stress there is at work and talking with a colleague who has just left the team, she confirmed how much pressure has been lifted from her shoulders as she had time off and moved to a less stressful lower banded post in another team. She suggested I make the move to their team and I suspect I might do this. All still in the same building but our manager isn't moving for at least another three years and I would like my last few years as a nurse to work in a better environment. This ties in with my decision to reduce spending on models and save more towards paying off the mortgage this year so that I can consider  my work options, possibly reduced hours at some point.  The well-being debrief with a psychologist last week as a follow up to the incident also helped because it brought it home that managers really don't care. There is a meme on social media that an advert for one's job would go out before one's obituary and that's very true!

Back to my books, a cup of Yorkshire tea and feet up with the cats as it's not very inviting outside. Stay safe and warm folks.
TTFN.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

"it brought it home that managers really don't care."

There's no-one that will look after you in the NHS these days, so you've got to look after yourself.

A long time ago, in another life, when I was a totally overworked, stressed-out, but eager-to-please early-career professional, an HMI said to me, "Remember BW, they don't throw any medals in the grave!" That has stayed with me all these years.

Some managers do care... they are usually the ones who take early retirement, or simply walk away, because they can see the toxicity that is the modern public-service world.

If you can do anything to make your latter career years less stressful, then, please, for your own sanity, and for your own health post-work, just do it. And soon.

/lecture mode. Sorry, but, somone needs to say it...

8:14 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Sounds like an eventful day, if cold and wet. Rainbow?

I admire your hobby, but yes, looks like a bit of cleanup needed!

I have to agree with the less stress route. We only want what's best for you. They only want, well, you know...

9:44 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you folks and no lecture at all BW as it is good to be reminded particularly post-work as I would like to enjoy retirement in good health.

I will be looking at opportunities to work fewer hours and to slow the pace down at work. I have enjoyed the last week of doing little other than models, reading and some gentle walks plus fussing the cats. I will be booked in for a physiotherapy assessment of my knee and back so that should help.

8:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home