Saturday, August 23, 2014


A morning of grass cutting, weeding, feeding and tending to plants has resulted in one happy but tired delcatto. I have been too busy to attend to the garden these past two weeks and it showed. Weeds are really pernicious buggers and they thrive! I have had to concede defeat to the caterpillars and sadly the sprouts have been removed. I am considering clearing a patch in the garden and erecting a small greenhouse (Titter ye not Missus!) for some of the plants. This will hopefully allow me to grow sprouts next year sans caterpillars as well as a home for chillies, tomatoes and the Black Olive that is thriving. The latter will be transferred to a larger pot and wintered indoors.
The houses at the back are very near completion but they have outside lights that are incredibly bright. We'll ask whether they can be masked on our side and if the answer is no, dark evenings, a ladder and black paint may be required. Alternatively, a letter to the council may be the first step to resolving it. I'll ask the developer first and hopefully it can be resolved. I enjoy watching the night skies especially on a dark winters evening. The new lights have put the kibosh on that as well as being incredibly obtrusive for those who sleep in bedrooms facing the back.
As for this weekend... a chance to recharge my batteries, possibly go out on the bike and perhaps a pub. I don't have a 'local' any more and many of the pubs in town aren't for me. Wetherspoons is too barn like and all I really want is a quiet local where I can read a book and sup a pint. What is more likely is a quiet beer at home with the kindle and, if the weather holds up, sat out in the garden enjoying some increasingly rare sunshine. We'll see...
TTFN.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

My wife grows sprouts in a jar with a screen rubber banded around the top in the kitchen. Rinse once a day, when they're ready she removes as many seed coverings as possible and lays them out on a towel to dry a bit. Salads, sandwiches, she even just snacks on them plain.
It's really just too easy, maybe it would work for you. Have a great weekend!

6:46 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Hi Scoakat, that sounds like a different type of sprout? These were Brussels sprouts. I occasionally grow salad leaves in the kitchen & use those for meals. Easy to grow, pick, wash & add to meals.

11:40 am  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Yes, different. She grows the little alfalfa sprouts and the like.

10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home