Thursday, August 07, 2014

The garden this year has turned up trumps with lots of large, luscious and very tasty cucumbers. Enough produce enabling me to give some away. The tomatoes are now turning red with a huge crop on the way plus lots of chillies to come in the next several weeks. The only fly in the ointment or, rather, the only caterpillar in the ointment has been the little devils infesting my sprouts. I have used organic bug killer spray, picked them off & the jet function of the garden hose. After all of this the little buggers still pop up albeit fewer with each passing day and my ongoing defence of the sprouts. I have also received some courgettes (zucchini ) at work from a colleague so plenty of vegetables currently. Another bonus has been a crop of garlic at long last from the garden. I planted some last year and I forgot all about them. With mint, sage and rosemary also successfully grown it appears that finally I am getting the hang of this gardening lark.
The kitten has been exploring the garden after a heart stopping morning where she disappeared over the back fence for a couple of hours. We then discovered her sprawled beside Tigger who was not altogether happy to have the widget parked up alongside of her! Anyhow, back to weeding and tending to the various plants, a wonderful antidote to work as well as soaking up the sunshine.
TTFN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

I'm jealous. We try, but you succeed!

10:33 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Excellent, well done!

Our garlic has been pathetic this year (first time it's failed), and we're also suffering with problems with cabbage whites and winter greens.

I have found a great recipe for a glut of cucumbers - will post it soon.

2:33 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Cheers folks.
I am battling daily with the caterpillars. I know for next time to spray when I see the first butterflies.

4:45 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I'm thinking pins for the butterflies...

We have netted everything cabbagey, but somehow the little fluttery buggers are getting in.

I haven't yet found any organic spray (commercial or home-produced) that will kill them, and I won't use anything else due to the Buzzy Familiars (and the fact that it's a food crop).

4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home