Wednesday, January 08, 2014

I started on my mandolin today with the first half hour spent tuning it!


Even with the aid of an electronic tuner I struggled to get it right before I opened my "Mandolin for Dummies". Reading this and the initial practice brought me back to my music lessons many, many years ago when I chose the clarinet. Sadly, coming from the wrong side of the tracks and with no money to spare that ended after a year. However, better late than never and I have money and time to commence this path. My left fingers are now very sore and during the practice the cats vacated the room! The dog in her loyal canine way stayed by my side and slept through it all once the novelty wore off for her. The earlier walk may have contributed to that as well. The book also links to on-line lessons which I have downloaded as well as several videos from other mandolin players. Fingers crossed but hopefully not during practice. What did surprise me is that time flew by and I hadn't even been aware of it.


One of my favourite songs...

TTFN.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Beautiful looking instrument.

I too love that song. And a later one 'The Revolution Starts Now!' Steve Earle is one of the best gigs I have ever been too - we saw him at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in the middle of the Iraq war, just when drafting unemployed US men (like his son) was a possibility.

Have you read his autobiography?

8:52 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Hi BW. I love his music but I have never seen him play live. I haven't read his autobiography although I am aware he had a serious drug problem for many years. Thankfully he is now free of that.

9:18 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home