Saturday, April 10, 2021

 Another spring weekend but a return over these last few days to winter with a noticeable frost early this morning. A long weekend as I had Friday off and my car had its annual MOT with two new front tyres and no other problems found. I had an air con re-gas but I was told there might be a problem with the air con compressor as the gas levels dropped again following the re-gas. But the weekend sees me readying plants for the garden and work on a new model build.


Three pots with Naga, Habanero and Thai Birds Eye chilli seeds planted and the tray planted with some Minibel Tomato seeds and Marigolds. The latter will go in the raised bed with the tomatoes and chillies as well as some pots around the garden. I will also move the chillies from the small pots into some larger pots so here's hoping for a sunny summer. I also have some grass seeds for the bald patch in what I laughably call the 'lawn'. I don't plan to grow anything else as the wall, gate and generally clearing out the rubbish will be a priority this year and prepare for the years ahead. 


I started on the Fiat BR 20 and I have ordered some decals for a plane from the Corpo Aero Italiano campaign as well as a Fiat CR 42 fighter plane model to join the bomber. I bought and read this excellent book  a couple of years ago about the Italian air campaign against the UK in 1940 - 41 as part of the Axis air effort. Even back then I had this build in mind as I am fascinated by this particular subject and hopefully a small effort to dispel some of the comments about the fighting prowess of the Italians during WW2. 


 As you can see it was on offer at a local cheapo store and I bought this with several other books. As an aside, doing this research today and I just discovered the author Peter Haining also wrote and edited ghost and mystery stories, a man after my own heart but sadly passed on and I had read many of those anthologies during the seventies and eighties.


I have assembled the interior and dry fitted and taped the fuselage as I have the crew to paint up and position them as well as a few other internal parts. I have some research still to do as there is some contradictory paint schemes for this particular campaign and aircraft and I hope the decals when they arrive will clarify that. But having dug this book out to photograph it I shall once again dip into it.
I hope you have a great weekend and keep safe during these crazy times.

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I don't know how you manage to get so much done, as well as working work full time!

Don't forget to put the crew in first this time!

Peter Haining - yes, I can remember reading him years ago.

Hope the seeds come up well for you. Bloody annoyed that they took off GQT and GW yesterday for The Royal Death. Right now, a lot of people are relying on gardening for their sanity, and to take off helpful gardening programmes in peak growing season is, frankly, ridiculous.

6:42 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

After being teased with some very nice days last weekend, we've been cool and wet over here. For now, fires and gardens must wait. We still can't rule out getting snow in April, but at least we're headed in the right direction. Enjoy your weekend!

8:49 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you folks.

I don't think I do enough BW, I'm quite lazy . Yes, I was surprised at the removal of all the TV programmes as I had thought we'd moved on from that 1950's mentality. It is astonishing how often the BBC get it wrong. Plus an announcement to invest in programmes for the youth as the over 50's demographic are of no matter to them!

Yes, very cool and wet here with hailstones last night Scott. Hopefully you can rest and get to the garden next weekend.

9:00 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Yes, the BBC just don't get it do they? Replacing Jenni Murray and Jane Garvey with some bright young thing as presenter on Woman's Hour wasn't very bright either. I'm sure I'm not the only listener they lost over that.

9:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home