An interesting week at work, very busy with too much driving on dreadful roads, very heavy rain and winds plus lots of roadworks. The latter is the 'fun' part as detours in one case brought me to another set of roadworks necessitating a further detour! Add to that the inevitable road traffic accidents and morons in insulated large SUV's doing twenty over the speed limit and it's very uncomfortable at times. On a positive note, it is now confirmed I will work three days per week from the first week of January and I have had an offer of a job change within the same team which I have agreed to. Hopefully that will happen as although I will be busy, it will reduce some aspects of my role and will possibly make my last couple of years in the job manageable. We have also had a budget from this government which I am still digesting but the two years of lockdowns, paying people to sit at home, trashing the economy, not dealing with the financial crisis back in 2008, etc...is the main reason for this budget, not the 36 - 48 hours of Truss and Kwasi. My only hope is that the state pension age is not changed again in the next four years as I am knackered now and the gods know what I will be like four years from now.
Here is a photo I found on social media from a photographer (Ian Black) of a group of Lightnings flying over Grimsby during the 1980's. These aircraft were based at the nearby Binbrook RAF base which is now an industrial site. Speaking of aircraft I ordered a very cheap kit and it arrived in the post this morning...
It is a WW1 Gotha G IV bomber and as the photos show, it is a very basic kit with very basic instructions, hence the cheapness. This is likely to be my next build following the Rolls Royce Armoured car diorama and it will severely test my modelling skills if I want to make a decent build out of it. Lovely! Scratch building and lots of research required and I do have a book regarding this particular aircraft which I will dip into. This kit model is from 1978 so it has been hanging around in someone's attic or their stash for many years and sold off after their death. A pertinent reminder to stop adding to my stash and crack on with the builds.
'M'off to do me chores.
TTFN.




5 Comments:
Good news re the reduced hours and job change, hope it all goes to plan.
If the state pension retirement age is raised again, based on past experience, it won't affect anyone 4 years off their date. Or, hopefully, 7. In less than 4 weeks, according to what I was told when I started work, I should have been able to claim my state pension... sickening.
Thank you BW, I am keeping my fingers crossed for the offer. I don't see me working beyond 2025 although that still leaves me with two years to my state pension. But who knows what the next couple of years bring!
Yes, it is sickening. Sue had to work an extra four years beyond sixty including time with ill health before she agreed to stop as she couldn't do it any more. She now has her pension and more relaxed because of that.
Nice plane pic, and an interesting angle looking down on them with your city in the background.
Have you built a model of a Lightning? I can't remember. The cheap kit looks like one or two I did when younger.
I know I'm a bit younger than you two, but so far I've kept the view that I won't get to retire. 67 is the full retirement age here, so any time I actually get after age 67 is then a bonus. But, life is life and can change in an instant.
Interesting that US pension age is now 67 too. Is there a universal pension paid by the state?
Personally I fully expect the state pension to be means tested before I get to that age, so we're not expecting to get anything either. Considering that all our money (and more) is now tied up in property, and the bottom has fallen out of the property market so we can't sell the house we need to in order to release funds to live, we are up shit creek with no paddle right now. As you say Scoakat, life can change in an instant.
I hadn’t realised the retirement age is 67 in the USA. I agree with BW, I think we’ll be too knackered to enjoy retirement and means testing will come in for most people. I’m sorry to hear the house sales have reached an impasse for you BW. Life is becoming increasingly unpredictable.
I have built a Lightning Scott but during the building work it was broken and is awaiting repairs. That is a great view though.
Post a Comment
<< Home