A busier work week than usual and I am heartily glad to have my weekend off. In good news it looks as though my request for a reduction to working three days a week is finally going through. I suspect it will start in the new year and I am ready to step down further. Another step on my journey to finally retiring from work. We have also ordered a new front door which is being made to measure in Scotland of all places! I had mistakenly assumed it would be made locally as the fitters who measured it and will eventually fit it are local.
I finally ordered some accoutrements for the cheaper than fish and chips (Inflation!) Recovery Vehicle I bought recently.
I also ordered some resin boxes, barrels and assorted storage for this model and I have some figures from a couple of years ago for this planned diorama. I've made a lot of aircraft over the past year so back to vehicles but in this case a necessary support vehicle.
I find as I am watching very little TV apart from old British comedies i am ploughing my way through books and have now received some more second hand books, including a wonderful reference book.
The only problem with great reference books like this one is that inevitably I will hanker after the flying boats I read about and the to buy list is getting longer. Old flying boats like the Singapore, Saro and London are very rare to find as model kits. Rarity equals expensive and usually in the USA or Japan so P&P is also added to the expense. Writing of fish and chips and we have ordered a fish and chip takeaway for this evening and we will spend the evening trying to calm the moggies down as the Guy Fawkes fireworks are exploding all around the locality and will do now for the next several days.
TTFN.


3 Comments:
Happy Guy Fawkes Day tomorrow! I noticed somewhere recently it was coming up on the 5th. Are there any festivities locally other than fireworks?
Hurray for reduced working days!
We've been surprised about doors and windows not being made locally any more too. There are fewer and fewer companies who manufacture (and glass more so than frames), and fitters are self-employed so they measure what they fit, then if anything is wrong it's the fitter who is at fault and has to pay for remanufacture. I'm told that window nd door fitters enjoy the highest rate of tax-free pay of any trade (ie often get paid in cash no questions asked).
Enjoy the fish and chips. I am amused by the idea of ordering ahead - is that service a post-covid invention as I've never heard of it before?
Thanks folks.
There are generally organised displays of fireworks but lots of people buy them and set them off at random from the middle of October. Not good for pets!
Yes, I was surprised by the doors being made elsewhere BW. Yes. they can be ordered ahead and collected or delivered but last nights meal was not the best. Chips were very greasy so we shan't order from there again. Takeaways used to be an occasional treat but during the building work we had more than usual. Now cutting back to an occasional treat as the cost is astonishing. 9 - 10 % inflation my arse! It is significantly higher and reflected in the costs. I can see more businesses going bust.
Post a Comment
<< Home