A quick update and some birthday presents arriving late in the post as the postal workers are having one and two day strikes. My mum sent me a cheque with instructions to buy models, books or whisky so I opted for a couple of models and books. There is one more kit to arrive plus some figures for the Bf 110 diorama and for the above kit (Another Ukrainian kit). But today it has been raining, absolutely tipping it down which is perfect modelling weather.
This was the progress so far on the Bf 110 with a light grey airbrushed on top and it has been drying over the last couple of days ready for a protective clear coat and then the dark grey-green camouflage on top.
My mum has again been in hospital and she expressed her anger about the NHS as she has had bloods taken on several occasions over the past few weeks and various health staff unsure why the results are coming back skew whiff. She explained several times about the recent radiotherapy and the penny finally dropped but the health care professionals she was talking to would not admit they had not looked at her health history notes! Over the last few weeks as a consequence of the blood results she was prescribed iron supplements that made her unwell and she refused to take them. They have now admitted she is not anaemic. There is a real sense that things are falling apart in the NHS and I can well understand my mum telling the doctors to leave her alone. I think this is one of the reasons why she sent the cheque with a card saying 'Spend it on whatever you like and enjoy life.'
I didn't cash the cheque until yesterday as she has been battling with the DWP again as for the second time they had stopped her pension. She only became aware two weeks ago and discovered payments had stopped in February! She is unable to go out alone so she doesn't check her bank account at the branch and she won't use on-line services, hell she won't use computers at all. She contacted her MP Priti Patel...still no response and the CAB but it was finally sorted this week. Again, another system falling to pieces and I suspect lockdowns, working from home, useless IT, elderly now seen as superfluous in society, etc... I have to admit I was so angry as this shouldn't happen at all, let alone twice! I have nothing but contempt and hatred for all politicians whatever colour rosette they wear. Lying, greedy, stupid, thieving bastards all of them and they are dragging us ever closer to a needless war. I'll stop there as I do feel a rant coming on and I must think of my blood pressure. I shall spend some mindfulness time with the cats plus a welcome cup of tea.
TTFN.




4 Comments:
My Mom sent me a check on my birthday, too. I've told her she needn't bother and she knows, it must be just a mom thing. She's 75, and will use online services, but I know your Mom is older and it's different for her. She may need more help soon.
My mom had a big move yesterday and I'll see her tomorrow. She's doing well, but I have the same worries you have, essentially.
Healthcare is different here than there. I think our access to it is better, but it can bankrupt you, too. That's a whole can of worms, there.
Hopefully your mum settles in to her new place and isn't too far from you.
Yes, healthcare is free to access and emergency healthcare is very good. It's the waiting times and accessing ordinary health care or care for chronic conditions that can be hit or miss here. One day I will blog about health care over here as it is paid for through our taxes so it isn't 'free' and despite a lot of money being spent on it, so much is unnecessarily wasted and there are huge staff shortages. It needs reforming and proper management but everyone's fear is that we end up with a health care system unaffordable for many.
My sister is retiring from her job later this year and doing more care for our Mum. One of my reasons for reducing my hours further is that I can go down to see her more.
That MP was the one who told one of my Patchy Ladies (when she was 82) that 'I am not minded to assist with this matter' when approached for help in getting restricted parking in her road as commuters parked over her drive entrance every day and stopped her getting her car out to go to hospital and medical appointments. One day it cost her £170 for a taxi to Ipswich Hospital and back. Patel is an utterly useless piece of work. I didn't realise that her constiuency went as far as where your Mum lives. Unfortunately it's such a safe seat that she's safe for life. And then will be made a Lord no doubt.
Can your Mum not get bank statements sent by post? I thought all physical banks had to provide no-cost paper statements to disabled and elderly people, even if they make everyone else go paperless?
I just caught up with your comment BW.
I will suggest paper statements for my Mum as I hadn't considered that.
Yes, Patel is useless and by all accounts a very right wing piece of work who despises those beneath her.
Post a Comment
<< Home