Saturday, May 14, 2022

A busier weekend with some rubbish clearance to the council tip yesterday as we begin the preparation for the damp course work in four weeks time. I was expecting the work to commence later this summer but they offered to start on the 20th June which I very happy with. We are looking at hiring a small skip to get rid of the accumulated rubbish but also because there is a lot more garden stuff to go as well which I have no desire to put in my car. I also put up the back door insect curtain which for me marks the beginning of warm weather and today was bright, warm and breezy following a couple of days of much needed downpours. We had our daily walk and an opportunity to see the swans and the new cygnets, all ten of them!


There are two pairs of swans with twenty one cygnets between them occupying different areas of the river. 


Hopefully they will all survive into adulthood but a great number of them. 

I did manage to do some modelling and I have been putting off the track building as the individual tracks need cleaning up and gluing together whilst avoiding any damage to them.


The individual tracks are tiny and delicate requiring a gentle methodical approach to ensure a good fit and avoid breaking them. I use two tapes to place the tracks between to ensure they remain straight but I still managed to break three so far. Once both sides have been assembled and painted I can clear coat and apply the decals. I ordered a kit several weeks ago from Ukraine to go with this self-propelled gun as a munitions schlepper and hopefully that will arrive as I finish this build. I hope to get the two kits built and in a diorama before the damp proof work starts as I will focus on an easy simple kit whilst they are here as well as repointing the brick walls in the garden. 

As an aside, for anyone in the UK I can recommend these shampoo bars as they are really good  and hopefully better for the environment and good for my hair. There are different scents for different hair types.




Time to chill out, feet up, a cuppa and a slice of cake. 

TTFN.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Big skips aren't usually much more than small skips. It's amazing how little it takes to fill one... also is there any danger that your neighbours will use it to offload their junk when you're not looking or is there somewhere you can put it off the street?

I hope a goodly number of the cygnets manage to survive.

And I hope your building work is uneventful and quickly finished.

7:51 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Love the swans! Yes, but they do have more because not all survive. Probably best, or that'd grow to be a lot of swans.

Any excuse for a clean-out is good. Get the big skip, you'll likely have more for it than you think and maybe allow the neighbors a bit, just to be friendly.

Not sure I mentioned it yet, but got all my long hair cut off in March. I like the idea of those shampoo bars, I'll have to look into it.

4:42 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Good advice folks. we are looking to price them up this week and make a decision then and we decided if there is room to let our neighbours know. We are hoping to get it for the day only if that's possible and avoid others dumping their rubbish overnight.

Fingers crossed for the survival of the cygnets but there will be some losses as there is every year.

You cut your hair Scott, it makes a huge difference and I can recommend these shampoo bars or similar. I'm trying to cut down on plastics says the plastic modeller, now there's irony for you!

10:55 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Just thought - if a skip has to be set on the public highway/pavement, do you need a council permit for it?

8:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home