Friday, April 01, 2022

 A brief update.

I am full of a head cold and feeling distinctly unwell and the LFT showed up negative confirming my belief that it is a normal horrible cold and not the plague. I think I am tired and stressed hence more prone to catching bugs and infections. Night nurse before I go to bed and a glass of whisky yesterday evening ensured a good nights sleep as the night before I was up at 3 a.m. A few days in the warm slathered in Olbas oil and plenty of tea should see me fit for a return to work next week. A brunch of Baked Beans on wholemeal toast will also help!

In between naps I have been catching up on the news and after giving that my attention for several minutes I decided not to bother. Rich folks having handbags at dawn during the Luvvies glittery prize show, no idea what to believe about Ukraine apart from the fact the Russian military are still there and lots of made up distractions for us hoi polloi. I also finally managed to send meter readings for gas and electric today after the websites crashed. After some electric company clown manager blamed Martin Lewis for the cock up when millions of customers attempted to access the websites following the companies advice to do so on th 31st March, it just shows the level of responsibility such people are willing to accept! 

I also popped into the garden an hour ago for a few minutes and although currently sunny, it is very cold and windy. I am glad I managed to do some tidying up last weekend but you wouldn't know it from the mess today. When the weather is better I plan to continue the clean up and visit the council tip with the garden and household rubbish too big for the bins. The dark clouds are building up and something will soon drop from the sky, possibly more hail.

Back to the Sasquatch and Dogman podcasts and probably some extra layers as it is very cold. We have the heating on and I consider us the lucky ones as we can afford it. I worry about those who will have to stay in the cold because they cannot afford to put the heating on. A lot of the people whom we work with will be in this category as will the elderly and many of those on low incomes. I don't see this panning out well and next winter could see trouble erupting over this and increased food prices. A horrible recurring thought occurs to me and that is will I have to continue working for the next several years to ensure I can afford these increasing bills? For now folks, keep warm and safe.

TTFN.


5 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

The rising cost of everything has me worried too, and I discovered today when I got a payslip that my platinum-plated Local Authority pension has only gone up 3.1% (due to the month that they measure inflation to do the index-linking), whereas they are predicting 9 or 10% inflation by the end of the year.

The year-on-year effect of below-inflation increases in pensions (or wages, or benefits) is going to be horrendous: like compound interest, only in fast reverse.

I'm having sleepless nights about juggling money around to pay for needed things and restoration work, until we have sold Coven Sud, but at least there is an end in sight for us.

I honestly dread to think how most people are going to cope, and my heart goes out to them.

Hope you will get better quickly. You seem to have a good prescription going on there.

2:06 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Sounds like things are much different over there compared to here, all because of Russia's "special project?" Gas went up here but has since stabilized and even gone back down some. It isn't really much of a bother to us as we don't drive near as much since the pandemic.

It is definitely a late spring this year, sunny today so the couple inches of snow we got yesterday melted but for shaded areas. Several more inches expected tomorrow. Still less than normal so far, but I grow weary of it.

Feel better and have a good weekend, Delcatto.

11:30 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks folks, I feel better today although tired and I am sleeping a lot.

Hopefully BW you will get a quick sale as people still want to escape London for a 'better life' away from the hurly burly. I hated juggling money and dreaded bills coming in for many years and currently in a better place financially whilst I am working. I suspect inflation is already well above the official figures stated in the media and will continue to rise. Horrible for so many people.

I don't think Putin's invasion has helped with fuel and other prices Scott but this has been coming for a while following lockdown and years of mismanagement and political nonsense. We are meeting next week at work to change us all into working localised areas nearer home and to reduce the mileage we do.Even with the 5 p reduction in tax fuel is expensive. Worryingly, Russia supplies a lot of fertiliser for export and Ukraine supplies a lot of grains. There will be shortages in both leading to food shortages especially in the middle east and Africa, prices going up and riots / revolts will be a consequence. The ripples are spreading and an example is Croatia refusing to allow Russian oil to be transported through and the Balkans really doesn't need another Sarajevo spark to set things off. All very worrying.

9:11 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Doing the type of work you do, is it really a good idea working close to your clients' homes?

When I worked for a LA in a peripatetic advisory role, we never had a patch of schools in our own home area, for safety's sake, and for reasons of confidentiality.

As a teacher, I once lived across the road from the school where I worked. At least once a week I would get parents knocking at my door in the evenings or at weekends to ask if I would just open the school because little Johnnie had forgotten his lunchbag/medicine/reading book/swimming bag/teddy etc etc. Boundaries just were not respected, and it was very hard to say no.

2:12 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

I'm unlikely to bump into them BW as the nearest ones will be three - four miles away. Their GP has to be in the correct catchment area and the nearest GP for my team is several miles away from me.

In the past I have worked in the same area and I agree it is a bad idea as it can be hard to say no.

4:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home