Friday, March 18, 2022

 For Scott I found the following photograph...


A farmers Landrover complete with a well behaved Rover sat on the fender!

A difficult week at work as we have no staff with leavers and sickness (covid) and yesterday, apart from the manager I was the only registered nurse and today one of my colleagues is in the same position. Most days over the past two weeks we have had three registered nurses and two support staff. We currently have more students than staff and they must be wondering what the hell they have become involved in! I can confidently state MH services are in crisis and I can't see it improving any time soon. We have an urgent team meeting coming up next month to find solutions as covid, staff vacancies, increased fuel costs and increased referrals is creating a perfect storm. One solution we are working towards is fidelity to the model of care, that we only work with people with severe and enduring mental illness and are at high risk of harm or of causing harm to others. This means fewer inappropriate referrals and we can move patients to the correct service as we have been treated as a repository for any and all cases, also known as being dumped on. Oddly enough it is senior managers sticking their oars in and insisting we take cases because another agency complains about some difficult person needing urgent immediate help. Hopefully we will have staff returning from sick leave the week after next but next week will be a repeat of this week. Urgent duty work only, telephone calls and prioritising urgent visits only is sadly the case for now but if others test positive for covid or present with symptoms of it and we will likely have no team! Crazy situation. 


The current work in progress is the return to the Sherman and I used the airbrush but with a paint I have never airbrushed before, Humbrol paint. I quickly discovered it really isn't suitable for airbrushing as it dries too quickly at the tip and doesn't spray. Even watered down it refuses to spray and a quick search of modelling forums revealed it is not a suitable paint for airbrushing. I cleaned the airbrush three times and went back to the trusty paint brush. Drying out now and I will continue tomorrow with the build. As an old kit there is two wide gaps beneath the hull sides and I need to glue some styrene in to cover the gaps...now, if I could remember where I stored the styrene sheets?!! I might have to use some old card and stiffen it with white glue instead. 



I intend to use just the figures supplied with the kit and stand alone model, no diorama as I will buy a better Sherman kit and use the tank figures I have for a future diorama. Partly because it is an old kit and not the best and partly because I have little time currently to focus on a full diorama as well as lacking display space. That will be sorted in time but too many other things happening and demanding my attention. That includes some health issues with my right leg which cropped up again this week because I was running around a lot. happily I have three days off and can relax.

TTFN.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Just wait until all the Ukranian refugees with PTSD arrive, and all the familes housing them find that taking in a traumatised person/family for a minimum of 6 months is no walk in the park, and brings its own MH challenges to everyone.

The word of the moment is 'expectation'. Or rather, over-expectation.

Well done for keeping going.

Enjoy your time off: would it help to get some of those (sports) supports for injured knees? Or just try massaging it? I've had a couple of nasty falls recently (you know you are getting old when...)and have been amazed by how well my knees have recovered with a bit of simple (but firm) massage a couple of times a day.

3:33 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks BW.

I massaged in ibuprofen cream last night and that helped. I also have knee supports which I started wearing again. Interestingly, I wore new shoes yesterday and I do wonder if that contributed to the calf muscle cramp.

Yes, we had a discussion at work about the refugees and we expect the referrals to start coming through later this year when the trauma really starts to come through. That will be on top of all the extra referrals from two years of media fed fears and anxiety about covid.

4:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home