Tuesday, April 14, 2020


Making progress on the latest build, a Stug 3B in 1/35 scale and I spent the weekend building the individual tracks which all required scraping / sanding to remove marks from the moulding process. Once assembled, the tracks were painted black and then a wash of 'chipping' paint to give a suitable worn rusty look. Once fully dried I will clear coat it to protect it and then add some steel paint to the cleats. The underneath has had another panzer grey wash to cover the brush strokes, a thinned mixture of grey paint, thinner and water and that too will receive a protective clear coat. All in all a suitable distraction from the madness outside. The casemate glued in and the upper part dry fitted but that will wait now for the weekend. Chipping paint is a thinned mixture of 70 % black, 25 % brown and 5% red and used for chipped paint, etc...




Back to work tomorrow and I will catch up with the last few days and I am expecting a deluge of messages and jobs to do. The one benefit of this enforced lockdown is the time to sit and reflect, give some thought to the important things in life. The death toll certainly adds an extra dimension to those thoughts and I will be looking at reducing my work hours next year. I have to admit that after nearly thirty five years of this work I am tired of it. A couple of colleagues work three days a week and I shall look to do the same with more time for family, friends and me. Selfish I know but I think I have earned the right to scale back at work after this year. Sue doesn't like the current work situation and admitted she worries when I am at work although I remain convinced I had this virus last year. Shockingly I have just under seven years until I am eligible for the state pension and Sue collects hers in eighteen months time although I have a horrible feeling the rules changed because I am younger than her. Something to look into as government and bureaucracy love to waste billions (HS2 anyone?) but penalise individuals. But for now a return to work after a few much needed days off and the ongoing lockdown. Take care folks.

TTFN.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age will tell you for certain.

Can you not get your NHS pension before your official state pension age?

I think you will be amazed how little difference there is in your take-home pay if you do 4 days a week cf 5.

If you dropped to 3 days, could you then do some bank or agency work - or even shifts in care homes, once this crisis is over - occasionally if you needed some extra cash?

11:33 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Hi BW,

I just found your message. I took early retirement a few years back and my pension, something I regret. If I had waited another four years I could have retired for good! We make our decisions and have to live with them. Hey ho! But I will be looking to reduce my hours after this year.

3:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home