Sunday, March 11, 2018


I realised yesterday that my last post mentioned the various cats coming through a portal opened up by the fallen wall but I hadn't mentioned the fallen wall. 'The Beast from the East' knocked this section of the wall over. The mortar had crumbled and the strong gusts caused the collapse. With Beasts from the east, walls falling over and the appearance of cats, this is how myths are created!


I spent some time on the first day of sunny weather to tidy up and move the bricks, keeping them in some order.


The bricks are laid out as they fell as I plan to discover whether I have any bricklaying skills and re-assemble the wall. I shall look at some informative videos on-line and when we have have a few days of  good weather I will crack on with it. I'm looking forward to trying out some real life 1:1 scale modelling with very different materials!

I have been searching on-line for appropriate jobs but although there are jobs, they are some distance away or involve 24/7 work or a combination of both. So I shall continue to keep an eye on the job market for something appropriate (part-time)  but potter around here at home. I have plans for trips out to Hadrian's Wall at long last and to spend some time with my mum who will be having further surgery later this year. The radiologist told her a year ago she had a kidney stone following scans but finally, after stating various other issues and despite my mum's protestations, the doctors agree it is a large kidney stone. As my mum said, the radiologist had expressed great delight at finding the largest kidney stone he'd scanned all year! She has said some choice words about doctors and very few of them are complimentary.  As a fellow blogger says, avoid doctors and lawyers unless absolutely necessary.
TTFN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Sounds like a great project while you have the time, just need good weather. You may want to consider fortifying what is left of the wall. I'd hate to see hard work undermined by a crumbling base.

Just keep checking, a good job will come along when it's right. All my best to your mum!

8:53 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you Scott.
Yes, I'll have a good look at the base first, make sure the foundations are solid and check along the rest of the wall. It seems solid enough from what I have checked so far. My mum is still complaining about doctors so she is in fine fettle!

10:50 am  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Of course you've thought of that, sorry. I've not had the chance to to do that type of masonry so I've no experience. Sometimes I think the older I'm getting the less I know.

3:30 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

No worries and I've no experience of this either. A two day job that will take me a week!

7:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home