Friday, December 06, 2013

Sixth day of Advent...


Delightful.... hmmm...

Yesterday was a day of excitement and anxiety in varying amounts, largely as a consequence of the weather. Severe weather warnings went out with the flood alerts which sounded like air raid sirens going out across the town. Winds of 70 + miles per hour, flood walls breached and various areas both north and south of the Humber flooded by surge tides. Whilst this was happening No 1 son asked me to pick up his girlfriend who was stranded at Doncaster train station. The railways had been closed in north Lincolnshire and she was stranded. A swift return trip of 100 miles, we picked her up and raced home just in case the house was flooded. I did not believe we would be flooded but the ongoing  radio reports of Newcastle, Whitby and Hull suffering floods did cause me some anxiety.  Happily, everything intact and dry in central Grimsby although floods happened in other parts of town and Cleethorpes. Same again this morning with high tide although thankfully the winds had lessened.
Oddly enough I woke up at 4 a.m. and was out walking the pooch by 5a.m. It was quiet, cold but no sense of impending doom as broadcast by the media apart from the sandbags around various buildings. Emergency vehicles and local council crews noticeable by the docks but otherwise it was an ordinary winter morning. The dog was excited because she had several walks over the last 24 hours as I made my rounds and assessed the situation. Hopefully that will be enough excitement for now. I hope it was quiet where you are...

TTFN.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Wow, sounds too interesting there, glad you are all okay. The rescue trek for #1's damsel sounds incredibly heroic in that type of weather.

Yes, I am from a different part of the earth, but I always thought our seasons weren't tooo much different. I hope this was an anomaly, like we all have at times.

All my best!.. really.

3:10 am  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

So pleased you are all OK.

9:01 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you folks.

3:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home