Friday, July 16, 2010

Today is the last day of my 'vacation' and the antibiotics are working a treat. My foot is no longer red & swollen so I am ready for my return to work.Sadly my plans were kiboshed and the trips I had planned to Colchester and Whitby will have to wait until later this year. Gentle walks with the pooch and pottering in the garden in between the showers have also helped.
Mrs C. is unemployed and the promised job may be some time off as the company haven't even started work on refurbishing the shop. Mind you, she's also hobbling about with an injured tendon in her foot. Two good feet between the pair of us! No.1 son has had his apprenticeship interview and he will get the result next week once the other candidates have been interviewed. I was more nervous on the day than he appeared to be. so fingers are definitely crossed for his success.












I also admitted to Mrs C. that I am having a 'midlife crisis' especially since I have had the past week to sit and reflect upon life. She laughed when I suggested that one of my recurring fantasies was that of selling everything up and moving elsewhere. Scotland and Canada appeal to me because of the space but I reassured her that I will hold fire on any move until No.1 son is sorted out. So that's between three and five years then. I am also following a friend via his blog and facebook who retired, bought a boat and he is sailing it around Scotland. He made a plan after his own midlife crisis led to his life imploding and after a few years he has achieved what he needed as well as wanted (He's only 57). He plans to sail with his wife to the Aegean next year although he could base himself anywhere in the world.




















My plans aren't so ambitious but perhaps I can use this crisis to make the changes rather than lose control and allow the changes to direct my life. With the proposed changes to the NHS and awaiting the real impact of the recession upon society, my working life could be more interesting than I anticipated. For now I guess I just have to surf the waves and aim to remain upright whilst avoiding the rocks and sharks.
TTFN.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

I'm glad your foot is better and I hope you enjoyed your time off. The word 'crisis' makes it sound urgent and negative. It should just be a change, a reassessment, an affirmation, maybe reflection and more. It seems we all will have our moments, so isn't there a better word for that than 'crisis?'

Anyway, Cheers! But back to work here soon as well.

10:19 pm  
Blogger Bill Sticker said...

Hey, what is a 'crisis' if it means you bunk off from the rat race and enjoy yourself for a change?

That's not a crisis, it's change for the better.

As for No 1 son; is he old enough to make his own decisions and live with the consequences?

Don't let others make you hang around until it's too late is what I'm saying.

10:24 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Cheers guys. Crisis is perhaps too strong a word and to be honest I Had given this issue much thought over the past couple of years and I have some ideas ready for what I want to do next.
No.1 son believes he is old enough to make decisions but he doesn't yet think through the consequences. Another couple of years will see him right and I want to ensure he is ready to take off on his own. Getting started on his apprenticeship would be a big help.

7:30 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Haven't visited for a while - sorry to hear that things haven't been that good; hope they are improving by now.

If/when you get to Colcester, drop me an email and we can arrange to meet up somewhere!

9:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home