Friday, January 01, 2010












It's 2010 and I awoke to a fresh covering of snow. Last night was an early night because I could not shift a thumping headache and that was prior to the couple of pints I had in the Tap. However, the lovely magic fingers of a friend who offered me a head massage did wonders and shifted it...shame it led to a frosty response from Mrs C. who was not amused. It was a head massage and nothing else despite being administered by a young and attractive woman in a pub full of people. So 2009 went out with a cold and silent aspect instead of fireworks, laughter and jollity.
January will be my usual alcohol free month as I take a break after all the celebrations. I am also usually broke during January and it does no harm to have a quiet month of contemplation and reflection with a clear and sober head. Mind you, apart from one night prior to Christmas when we had a collective evening of alcoholic madness I don't drink much. But the young woman in question pointed out how tense my body was, especially my neck and shoulders which I attributed to work. A combination of lots of driving, intense paperwork via computers and the emotional stress of the work I do is responsible for this. When I first met Mrs C. I was a tofu eating, yoga practicing and bicycling hippie (sans long hair) who lived a healthy alternative lifestyle. I have turned into a tired, cynical and old bugger who has been worn down by responsibilities. Pretty much like most other people these days. So a fresh start is required and my alcohol free month is a part of this fresh start. There is also so much uncertainty these days, with the economic and political mess at home and abroad. This adds to the overall zeitgeist as well as the symbolic start of a new decade. There is also my fiftieth birthday to look forward to this year. So a happy new year to all and hopefully any changes will be chosen and welcomed rather than imposed upon you.
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seany said...

Happy New Year to the Delcatto household!

Enjoy your break, but just in case the stress of avoiding alcohol gets too much of you, I will be in the Tap on the afternoon/evening of 9th trying to obliterate the memory of another birthday!

4:13 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Oh no...temptation!

10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home