Hooray! Bright sunshine and very mild out so we are getting further into spring with butterflies which has the Freds very excited. Sadly, Wilf has already caught one Tortoiseshell. Apart from some brief modelling this morning I shall sit out in the garden this afternoon and contemplate the grass growing.
The Commonwealth CA-12 Boomerang and the Spitfire Mk.V both finally weathered and just requiring an aerial for the Boomerang. The Stuka remains an ongoing project as Winnie finally got her paws on it but surprisingly little damage done. I have started a new kit for a group build with a model group I joined late last year. The criteria is an Airfix starter set or an Airfix Classic kit from yesteryear. I chose the Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat in 1/72 scale, a re-release from 1971.
I made a start on it on Monday and it’s a kit I have longed to build but…expectations have crashed headlong into reality.
It is a mould from 1971 and good for that time but age and modelling advances since then shows the many issues with this kit. I expected it to have issues with flash and to be a basic kit but fit has been a problem from the start. The cabin superstructure and gun are dry fitted as I have to sand and then prime the boat with Mr Surfacer to ensure a good surface and fit before adding the other parts and painting.
Progress so far and I will leave it until tomorrow. It will be an out of the box build as I just want a fun although challenging build and it will be my second ever boat build. I have little interest in large ships but I do like the smaller boats like the MTB and the E boat. The group is running four group builds this year and I have a kit for another one, ‘The Phantom Menace’ which can either be a Star Wars build or any ‘Phantom’ kit. I did look at a Rolls Royce Phantom but instead I opted for an early jet aircraft, the original Phantom from the late 1940’s.
Now for the sunshine! I hope the weather is good where you are but seeing Scott’s blog from a couple of days ago, that looks cold.
TTFN.




2 Comments:
It's cold here, except when the sun is (occasionally) out. Thank goodness for solar gain through our big south facing windows when the sun does shine as we have had to turn the heatingoff to conserve the oil we have as no-one is getting oil deliveries delivered round here currently, even if they pay in full in advance. The orders are simply cancelled on the day of supposed delivery, with no ability to re-book, even at the new higher prices. To me that is breach of contract, but apparently it is in all their T&Cs that they can do this.
- BW
What an absolute shower to quote Terry Thomas. How can they get away with it?
Sunny today but noticeably cooler in the garden. I sat out for an hour but it became increasingly breezy. Lovely to hear bird song apart from the extremely noisy seagulls.
Post a Comment
<< Home