Second shelf unit assembled yesterday although this one I did alone as No.1 son was at work. I almost regretted it when shifting the half built unit to another position and heard a loud CRACK! but it was ok. In position and ready for some of the larger builds on top and smaller ones on the shelves. I might move the stash upstairs and free up space downstairs, keep it separate from the modelling room. I think there are approximately sixty unbuilt kits in the stash not including figure sets. Many of them will take time to build as some are complex with lots of pieces. Others are vacu form kits which will test my modelling skills and patience and I am looking forward to those. What I discovered from the the assembly and today running to catch the postman is that I now feel more relaxed but also more energised. Sue was right to suggest I have a complete break from everything as I needed to de-stress and catch up on sleep. Mind you, up at 3 a.m to use the loo, I let Maisie out and Mindy escaped so I had to sit up and await her return. She is the youngest, adorable but not very bright and has gone missing a couple of times when she was out. So I was modelling between 3 and 4 this morning but I will leave it alone today as a busy day ahead and we will have to venture out in the rain.
I have ordered some books using the amazon voucher work colleagues gifted me and a scribing tool as sanding the models often removes the panel lines so this will come in very handy. The book is one of two as Sue bought me an early birthday present or rather, she gave me the money and told me to choose something after my description of various models she said was incomprehensible gibberish to her.
" A Sd kfz what? No, don't tell me in German...I have no idea what that means". I have stopped buying models now as even I recognise I have enough to occupy me and as BW joked, I would end up needing a unit in the garden or build an extension to house them if I bought any more!
I will be off to Essex next week to see my mum and help her celebrate her birthday. I am planning on monthly trips and staying with my sister as, realistically, we don't know how long she has got. She sounds very chipper when I phone her and it will be nice to catch up. We never did get to the seafood restaurant because of lockdowns, illnesses and deteriorating health for both of us. But I have said I will bring her some canned draught Guinness and various bits and pieces for an indoor picnic.
TTFN.

4 Comments:
The Company Shed at Mersea?
Oh, do try to go, if you possibly can, it's wonderful, and a truly delicious and amazing experience... a bit like Wong Kei's in Chinatown was, if you ever went there in the 80s (as in, a different experience, not like the rudeness of staff and shared tables there!!!).
Take folding chairs (in case you have to wait for a table) and arrive before they open as they don't do reservations, you just go and queue outside until it is your turn.
You used to have to take your own drink and bread, but I think they may now do both.
Highly recommended, although I understand the difficulties.
How attached are you to the completed models? I only modeled for a few years when younger, but I remember when it came time to decide what to do with them. While each one brought fond memories they were of the process of building and what else I was thinking of at the time, and that was my best satisfaction. That being said, a showpiece is a showpiece!
And you're going through a decompression, perhaps? And perhaps more than you expected? I'm very happy for you, and interested in how you get on so keep us updated!
I'll be off to see my Mom next weekend, too. We both have birthdays this month and I'll be on vacation so can spend some time. Enjoy your time with your Mum and family.
Yes, that's the one BW. Sadly my Mum can't travel far anymore and she doesn't want to go beyond her local area now.
I remember Wong Kei's, we ate there several times late seventies and eighties. They were very rude and tried to shove you out the door before you had finished a meal! Great food.
Good question Scott. Some I am attached to but there are some I could easily get rid of. I keep a record of builds, via this blog and FB but also my own photo record so I can get rid of them. My plan is to slow the pace of building down, record the build itself and have that record for future reference on an external hard drive so it doesn't get lost.
A decompression, most definitely. I am now beginning to feel like I have left and not just on holiday. Also, thank you as I will see my Mum tomorrow and plan monthly visits to see her.
"Wot you want?" was how the waiters in WKs' greeted you. Great food that students could afford though. And the toilets were not the best, although the writing on the walls was amusing.
Post a Comment
<< Home