Friday, January 07, 2022

 I found some old photographs on-line from my time in Israel from nearly forty years ago!


I wasn't aware of the existence of these photographs so a wonderful surprise for me. The above photo shows me and Danielle picking oranges. Slightly sepia tinted from age and quality I guess of the film and certainly not the bright greens and orange I remember. Danielle went on to become a senior police officer and I have no idea where she went to. We picked oranges, grapefruit and lemons as well as a variety of assorted other jobs including looking after turkeys.


This is a photo (from my collection) taken on the veranda where we typically spent our evenings socialising and that is Kiwi Jane with her back to camera and Gill sitting on my knee. Sadly I lost touch with Gill but she is apparently 'Somewhere in Yorkshire' was the report from a friend a few years ago. I am still in touch with several people scattered across the globe and sadly I suspect I might not get to see some of them. They live on in memories especially a couple of people who died in the year following our time in Israel. I have very fond memories of my time in Israel and Egypt and then travelling around Europe. I guess because although I had very little money I also had no responsibilities and was generally hale and hearty. I was also fond of partying and dancing and as I look back it really does seem like a different world. The photo below I have in my collection and it was taken on the great pyramid, three Londoners travelling around Egypt.




I guess being confined to the house leaves me a lot of time to think and reflect plus every time I set up for modelling the cats barge in for their regular dose of being adored and worshipped! I also spoke with my mum yesterday following her latest overnight hospital stay or, as she called it, 'Probe and scrape'! She is now free of the cancer but has to have a course of radiotherapy. She said she had a frank talk with the surgeon about putting a stop to all of this as she is tired and wants to enjoy what time is left to her. Whilst in the hospital foyer she was hit by an idiot on a mobility scooter in the hospital and threatened to beat the driver up! She's now 4'10" and slight in build and the chap couldn't stop apologising. She described him as 'A lardy arsed moron' and apparently told him that and his mate couldn't talk for crying with laughter at my mum threatening him. She is alright but she has informed the hospital so expect more glossy signs around the hospital following a committee meeting discussing it for several months. 

One thing I have noticed being confined to barracks and currently abstaining from alcohol is that I am eating chocolate and cakes, plenty of which is left over from Christmas. I think from Monday a new diet and hopefully I can escape the house for some walking.

TTFN.

FFS! Update from my mum, she has a fractured scapula following the above incident.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

Great photos! It's amazing how many memories we can 'recover' with the help of pctures.

Your poor Mum. Has she had to be admitted? Mobility scooters in crowded places are always a danger. I've been knocked into by several when on pavements. I really don't understand why they don't legally have to have insurance.

4:45 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thank you BW.

She spent a few hours there today and is back home again. I’m worried because I am at home self isolating and so is my sister, so we are hoping my brother will be there to support her. I won’t hold my breath for social services.

10:19 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I can't believe the hospital sent her home, knowing she lives alone, without a care package, and after the incident occured on their premises. Actually, I can (recent personal experience with Mr BW's Mum), but...

In case you need the details:

ECC Adult Social Care

Telephone: 0345 603 7630
Textphone: 0345 758 5592

Monday to Thursday, 8:45am to 5pm
Friday, 8:45am to 4:30pm

For out of hours queries contact the Emergency Duty Service.
Telephone: 0345 606 1212


You can also email the Adult Social Care team and someone will get back to you.
Email: socialcaredirect@essex.gov.uk

12:55 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Yes, hospital care all around seems to have worsened, I can speak from my recent experience. I don't fault the medical workers, it is big business and every possible corner has been cut to save (make) money. The nurses have too much to cover, they give good care to one patient and another suffers for it. They only have so much time.

AND/OR, most have been knocking themselves out, working like dogs for way too many hours due to the high hospitalization rates due to Covid for almost 2 years now.

That's my impression, hopefully not as bad for your Mum. Yeah, I'd be upset. Good luck to her.

Sorry, kind of a rant. I was going to delete it, but WTF.

7:34 pm  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Do they even let people on the pyramids anymore? Nice pics!

7:37 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Good to rant Scott!

It is a crazy situation and I can wholeheartedly agree with the exhaustion, physical, mental and emotional. This craziness needs to stop,

I don't think they allow people to climb the pyramids anymore but I suspect a ;little backsheesh will see you allowed to take photos whilst sitting on it.

10:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home