Monday, November 02, 2020

 Progress of a sort with the latest build as I have spent some time researching the aircraft more and applying more paint and clear coat protection (Pledge floor polish!). My right hand is ok but my back and legs are very stiff following the fall. Gentle walks and doing little as possible has helped plus the attentions of the cats who, unsurprisingly are needy because of the bloody mindless idiots with their fireworks. 



I like the Heinkel He 111 possibly because of the greenhouse like cockpit, an iconic image albeit a very unwelcome one wherever they were sent! 



The first layer of paint on with white camouflage above and the usual light blue beneath all brush painted as is the clear coat which is now left to dry. Slow work which isn't helped by the feline supervision which usually consists of sitting or sprawling on the table.  The next planned build is behind, another flying boat and I will spend time researching that and looking to scratch build parts to improve the build as it is a basic kit. Sadly, the price on the front was not the price I paid for it.


Writing of iconic aircraft and the above was my last purchase via evil bay and apart from paints and tools I have restrained myself to just that one kit over the last three months. It is in a larger scale at 1/48 and it was incredibly cheap. My stash is slowly decreasing and I have some repairs and previous builds I want to place in dioramas as below.


That Airco DH 2 biplane is a real bugbear for me as it is extremely fragile and I have repaired it once already. The Messerschmitt Bf 109 and ground crew will be updated as time goes on for a small diorama set in the Spanish Civil War. 

Given the further lockdown, although I will be busy at work I will now have lots of time to attend to these builds at weekends and during the evenings. It is supposedly until December 2nd but I don't see it being lifted until next year now. By the spring I can only imagine what will be left of the economy. We are setting very strong boundaries on the work we do now as there is constant pressure to do more assessments, take more allocations and discharge people more quickly with fewer staff available to do the work. There is again talk of redeployment of community staff to crisis teams and wards as this whole shitftest is taking a toll on staff. I think it will be unlikely as we are few in number and I believe a second lockdown is going to play havoc with peoples mental health. Apparently the London Ambulance Service  reported it is responding to 37 attempted / completed suicides a day now, an increase of seventy percent on last year. I don't know what the answer is because it will get worse over this winter with the usual winter flu beds crisis and anger and despair will grow and people will turn on politicians and the authorities. Hopefully I am wrong but I think things are going to get worse and the usual answer is for authorities to clamp down further. Hence my retreat into more modelling and the stock of books in my to read pile. I found an interesting you tuber who has made some predictions about what is coming. I don't necessarily agree with all that he says but it does provide food for thought.

My car is in now having a full service, a new CV joint (That knocking noise) and new brakes as I suggested these really need looking at too. I'll have it back tomorrow and Ouch!...it will cost me. I have two options...cash which is cheaper or on my card plus 20% VAT but there is then a receipt for when I sell it at a future date showing work done. I'll opt for the latter and pay my taxes as I can't really criticise 'celebs' who do various shenanigans to reduce their taxes but then criticise all and sundry regarding a variety of favourite leftwing causes. Eh. Lineker and Rashford, you hypocrites.

Stay safe and look out for each other...throw another politician on the fire to keep warm!

TTFN.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Blue Witch said...

I'm getting crosser and crosser with the number of tradespeople, including garages, who are very keen to do work for cash for a cheaper price. I'm beginning to think I might report some of them, particularly the ones who piss me off by turning up late or knocking off early. But - is there somewhere to report such things anonymously?

Glad there are strong boundaries to your work. And that you have out-of-hours distractions planned.

Haven't heard a single firework yet this year, and don't expect to!

8:08 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Sadly, loads of fireworks here. Feliway for the cats and music and lights on plus lots of fussing. I quite fancy moving to a quiet isolated area when it’s like this!

I have paid cash in hand before when money was very tight but I decided if I can afford it I will pay my VAT. It also protects me as I have evidence of work done if it goes wrong.

Yes, the out of hours distractions very much needed as I think work will be very interesting with the second lockdown. I hope I am wrong but it is now going into frightening territory. I daren’t mention care homes but my colleagues in the other teams are reporting a real godawful mess and disaster on the horizon.

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

While I was talking to my friend, who is a Ward Hostess in Big Hospital local to Coven Sud, on her break yesterday lunchtime, 3 were admitted into the Red Covid ward from A&E (not her ward, she works on a Green, but the Red is right next to, and beyond the Green - how sensible). By the end of her shift, there had been 9 admissions through A&E.

8:41 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

There is a real concern that hospitals will again be inundated with Covid cases, mainly elderly but also others with major health concerns. There is also the lack of qualified staff and governments over the last ten years have had the opportunity to ensure enough staff, resources, training and education to prepare for this. I think I need to blog this!

9:55 am  
Blogger Scoakat said...

Actually, I wasn't sure if I read that right earlier. Over here I would expect a detailed receipt no matter how I paid or what the transaction is in dealings with a reputable shop.

Yes, best to keep proof of the work. I keep receipts for notable expenditures as there are times it comes in real handy. Like if your repair - forbid it - was faulty, would they still correct their mistake without a receipt showing the work they did originally?

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Blue Witch said...

They would if you said you'd go the the authorities Scoakat! It's called "The Black Economy" and it seems to me that the further North you go, the more there is of it.

9:44 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

BW is spot on Scott. They call them 'Barra jobs' (Barrow jobs) around here, cash in hand and no paperwork to avoid the taxes. I make sure I have the receipts for all major works just to make sure and to pay the taxes.
Yes, they would correct any mistakes but best to do it all above board and have the paperwork especially for the brakes!!

10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home