
I mentioned yesterday my love of radio. Local BBC stations, BBC radios 2, 3, 4 and 7; internet folk radio;occasionally Compass FM. It tends to be the BBC stations because of inane advertising on the commercial stations. Music of all sorts:folk, jazz, rock, pop and classical. Talk shows and comedy plus football on radio 5 when sky has the viewing rights. I like radio because there is an expectation that the show provides the bare bones and I add the muscle, fat, nerves, blood vessels, etc via my imagination. If I am listening to Sherlock Holmes I imagine the characters, the gaslights, fog and the whole panoply of late Victorian london. The hound of the Baskervilles is a genuinely terrifying beast, all teeth and slather, not a Great Dane with luminous stage paint applied to it's chops. Comedy on the radio often expects you to 'fill in the gaps', some of which add to the visual humour supplied by the imagination. For me, radio engages me whilst TV can be viewed half heartedly. It entertains, educates, charms, confounds and angers me in turn.
I have favourites, some of which you are aware of from my frequent 'adverts'. Radio plays, history programmes, factual and politics, all attract my attention.

Latest DAB radio.
I have a radio
similar to this.
It is a standing joke amongst my family that every room in the house has a radio. Shower radio in the bathroom, wind up radio in the downstairs toilet, two or three DAB radios plus a couple of spare wind up radios for emergencies. As I write this I am listening to Jo Brand interview Barry Cryer and I will later listen to 'Guards! Guards!' by Sir Pterry Pratchett on BBCi.
Drink of choice: Cans of Hobgoblin.
Nibbles: Earlobes at the teeth of Swedish nymphs...we can all dream.
TTFN.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home