Thursday, July 13, 2006

Ding-aling-aling....

Surprisingly, work today was quiet and enabled us all to deal with our favourite activity...paperwork.The oil for the wheels of the NHS, yet still the machine squeaks, groans and shudders.So much for the paperless system...

















Yesterday I was on the receiving end of treatment at my G.P. I phoned up to arrange a routine appointment for the next day and the receptionist asked me what the symptoms were.
Me: "Some tingling and occasional numbness in my left arm over the past week".
R: "Ah...what else?"
Me: "I've been breathless on the odd occasion,but that's due to the heat exacerbating my hayfever".
R: "So, your left arm is numb and tingling, you're breathless and....any chest pains?"
Me: "No but my left shoulder and neck is a bit painful.So is tomorrow after 4p.m. ok to see a doctor?"
R: "Just bear with me."
I am placed on hold with some light jazzy riff to entertain me.

R:"Mr.Catto, the doctor can see you in half an hour.Will you be alright 'til then?"
Me:(Panic now beginning to rise)"Oh, tomorrow is alright.I've got work in a short while and I..."
R: "The doctor says he'll see you in half an hour, you may have to wait a bit but he will see you."
Me: "Gulp...er, OK."
R: "You'll be ok 'til then, it's not long so don't worry."

By now the penny has dropped and the receptionist believes I am having a heart attack.I don't believe this but I am now thinking furiously and relays of panic switches have lit up. "Maybe I am having a heart attack."

I eventually see the senior GP who gives me the once over and listens to my explanations about hayfever, etc...

GP: "You have a history of stiff neck and shoulders with pain."
Me: "Yes, for the past fifteen years."
GP: "Your heart's fine, BP is excellent and you have a trapped nerve which will ease in time."
Me:(Thank fuck for that) "That's great news doctor, thankyou."
GP: "You do not smoke which is good news but you are overweight, so let's just weigh you."

Several minutes later after a lecture on diet and I should know better as a nurse,etc...I walk out of the surgery a much happier man.
Diet has started today....I know a bloody warning when I see one.
I could murder some chocolate!
TTFN.

2 Comments:

Blogger Seany said...

My top dieting tip: avoid baking your own bread or crumpets!

9:03 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Mmmm....hot with lashings of creamy yellow buttery goodness and farmhouse strawberry jam.

7:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home