Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Cycle of Life....

Mrs.C. mobilising for Poland slowly now and she has improved a bit.She is firmly ensconsed on a hard chair watching various soaps and Big Brother.Various drugs,ice packs and hot water bottle have eased the pain and seized muscles somewhat.The televisual anaesthetic is helping...

I used to do a lot of cycling when I lived in London.It was the best way to get around town, even in the wet. Cheap,reliable,healthy and eco-friendly...I moved away from London to an area that does not possess much in the way of hills. From cycling ten - thirty miles per day I dropped to zilch.I had muscled cheeks and chiselled calves; now I have wobbly cheeks and wizened calves.The trusty bike has collected dust, rust and cobwebs (Good name for an album that: 'Dust,Rust and Cobwebs') and has been used as storage for a variety of household goods over the past three years.
So today in between waiting on and nursing my better half, I checked the bike over. It looks ok and with a bit of elbow grease I may be able to ride it again...slowly at first and at times when I shan't frighten small chidren, nuns and people of a nervous disposition.
I had a variety of bikes over the years including a state of the art 'Marin Muirwoods' in bright fluorescent pink which cost a lot of moola. I sold it eventually to a despatch rider after several weeks because lowlife scum kept nicking bits of it.Cycling nine miles home on the pedals in the rain late at night because some wanker has stolen the saddle is not fun.But this bike is a run of the mill Peugeot (irony!) 'mountain' (I use the term in it's broadest sense) bike which I have now owned for sixteen years.It's done a lot of miles with several changes of wheels along the way....stories to be told in future posts.
There is supposed to be a humourous picture of the 'A bike' from Clive Sinclair here but blogger is not allowing me to upload pictures...so imagine a funny picture...close your eyes and picture it.Go on, go on, go on, g'wan,g'wan,g'wan...you can picture it...you'll have some tea with that? Go on, etc....
I have to admit that as I drive around and see cyclists on the local A roads...Jesus, you'd take your life in your hands. HGV's,sales reps, racers...I do wonder why there aren't any more cycling fatalities in the media.'Scuse me, nursing bit to do...
Drivers do not appear to be aware of cyclists.Yes, many will move out and make room but just as many drive as close as they possibly can to a cyclist whilst driving at sixty or seventy mph plus.So I am choosing to do something that is healthy (if I start slowly and sensibly), eco-friendly (washing powder sales go up, increased water use in machines and showers as I sweat buckets/covered in insects/road muck),reliable (three sets of puncture repair kits) and cheap (insurance?).Plus the bonus of presenting myself as a slowly moving target for all the motorists who hate cyclists using their road..."I pay my road tax,these unwashed hippies..."
...I'll start with the local town roads firstly this coming weekend...it's as easy as falling off a bike.
Oops!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home