Monday, May 29, 2006

Chippie.

Finished work for the day and rushed home via the local chippie.Sometimes you just want food to be simple: Fish, chips and mushy peas with a sprinkling of salt and vinegar.Delicious. In Grimsby picking a good chippie is difficult because there are just so many.There are some I avoid like the plague because the food is awful.There are a couple of regulars I go to but, try asking anyone around here where the best chippie is and the arguments will run all night.In London most chippies sold cod and chips but I preferred haddock. I move to Grimsby and within months I had a craving for cod.Most Grimbarians avoid cod, knowing what cod live on as a result of the fishing industry.So I had little choice but to stick with haddock.The other surprise was that of chips cooked in beef fat. I was used to vegetable oils and the taste was at first strange but soon very tasty.BSE put paid to that and most places now use vegetable oils around here. I do miss pie and mash....Manzies on Holloway Road or a trip over to the East End where you had the choice of pie and mash;bagels or hot salt beef sandwiches; the various curry houses around Brick Lane.Spoilt for choice!

To round off a busy day at work tonight is the 'Difficult' quiz at the local.Exercising my brain and my tastebuds and scratching our collective heads at a variety of evermore esoteric and arcane questions. But it gets me out of the house and I can continue to avoid big brother.
TTFN.

1 Comments:

Blogger delcatto said...

Spooky!
I switch on BBC Radio Derbyshire and the presenter is discussing Cod. It was a speech about 'endangered species'; cod, local pubs,etc...

7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home