Nowt for owt...

A day of doing little apart from dog walking, Radio 3 and reading. A break from studying as well as work.
I received a letter from Virgin Media telling me I have been underpaying my account for some time but, "because it is our fault you do not have to pay anything extra and your next bill will be amended to rectify this mistake on our part". So what have I not been paying for?
Broadband? Cable? Telephone? Alas, I am kept in the dark and I have to await the excitement of the next bill.
What is remarkable is that I may have received something for nothing, truly a first for me. Having said that, I was once given a car for nothing...a Ford Fiesta Gratis. Despite being an old banger with bluetack and sellotape extras, I really liked that car. The passenger door fell off once but it quickly fitted back into place. The stereo worked intermittently but everything else worked: wipers, lights, indicators, cold running water and silence when the radio sulked in it's hole in the fascia. It had character and was a wonderful gesture from a lovely person when we didn't have a motor. Without a car and despite my desire to have green credentials, I resorted to walking and cycling because the buses often had the very people you would cross the road to avoid. Yoofs smoking weed because 'it's my rights, innit?' on the top deck;drunks who spotted you as their newest best pal; elderly ladies who smelt strongly of tom cats and incontinence and,worst of all,waiting in the pouring rain for the bus only to eventually realize it had gone earlier and you have a very long wait. At least on the bike I might get wet but I often beat the bus to my destination.
However, we could be heading that way again with the need to reduce carbon emissions, oil running out and a need for alternative transport. I don't mind so long as I can work nearer home and showers are provided at work. It's one thing to drive 80-90 miles on my visits over several hours....but cycling the same. I don't think so. We could have a horse and cart to visit people in the community, collecting rags and bones as well as delivering the milk.
TTFN.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home