Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Gripes and groans...

Let's see if I can post without the PC freezing, again.
Lovely day yesterday: work so-so, soaked walking the mutt, PC still having tantrums and now I have a cold.
On the plus side...weather is supposed to be good again in August and the Louth beer festival is in October. I didn't even know about it until a work colleague mentioned it! I also have two weeks leave in August and for once I am counting the days until I can chill out and enjoy life.
Little chance to 'Listen again Radio 2' as I planned to do for the Cambridge Folk Fest.via the PC. Hopefully I can catch up over the next two days. I have also applied to do some courses related to work. One is a ten week introduction to 'Psychodynamic Psychotherapy' via work and the other is an Open University course 'Critical Practice in Health and Social Care'. The latter is towards my degree whilst the former may whet my appetite and may be the direction I take my career in. In 21st Century nursing one has to study continuously and move towards 'specialisms'. Study in and of itself is a good thing, but I do wonder who will nurse the patients as we do the paperwork; study and train; read,digest and apply the growing pile of policies, protocols and latest fads from upon high; teach and train students and other staff; meetings. I am luckier than most as I work in a team where we have more autonomy and can escape to work with patients.
Sadly, most of my degree is in modern history (including much on the modern Middle-East) and I would prefer to continue that but I'll complete it with OU health/social studies for a Humanities Hons. degree for my career. I have little desire to have nurses or social workers as bosses who have little experience, GCSELite qualifications and zero commonsense, because they have a certificate in juggling oranges and a degree in sociology. My main gripe is that after I have nursed for over 21 years and studied / trained throughout that time; I have worked hard to ensure I am good at my job, ensure clients get the best quality service and I enjoy my work.I also like most of my clients and get a sense of satisfaction when someone is able to move on successfully.I know my own limitations as well as the limitations and pitfalls of services.I am also aware that I do not know it all but I continue to learn.I do worry about the quality of some of the staff that are coming through. Or maybe I am just a miserable old bugger and when I started out in the eighties the miserable old buggers back then complained about standards being lowered.
Anyhow, enough moans: Listening to - 'The Best of David Bowie 1969/1974' and Paolo Nutini. Both very good although the latter is Mrs.C's. I am off to work later so I am relaxing with a cup of tea and mutt at my feet.
TTFN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home