Since I quit spotify I have missed listening to music and I considered what to do next when the penny dropped. After a rummage around the spare room which No.1 son seems to have turned into a garage for his car tools I found a small pile of somewhat ropey CD's which I realised belonged to No.1 son and Sue. Racking my brains I was sure I hadn't got rid of my CD's and I then found the large container full of aural delights. David Bowie now playing loudly on the computer and I might have to buy a cheap CD player as the little attached DVD / CD player is the only player in the house and I would prefer to play music as I model or just chill out in my armchair. I may have become a Luddite as I will stick with CD's and DVD's and save money by not paying for on-line music I don't own and I quite like playing CD's in the car. Having stored them away a few years ago it is fun rediscovering the music I have in the collection. When I received my nurse registration all those years ago I immediately bought two things, a CD player and a lovely mountain bike, a Marin Muirwoods in bright fluorescent pink. Sadly the latter attracted ne'rdowells who stole parts off it but for getting around London and the home counties that bike was excellent.
It's quite an eclectic collection with diverse offerings such as the usual Beatles, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, De La Soul, Blues, Arabic music and British Folk music plus a collection of Punk music. Given that today is somewhat dull and very wet out listening to music helps to bring some of the light in and brighten up the place. That and the thunder of various cats racing around the house is possibly making it a noisy household today although it has started to thunder outside as well.
This is the progress thus far on the Supermarine Stranraer with the centre and sides of the upper wing dry fitted after a bit of a struggle to glue the cabane struts to the lower wings and align correctly. I also drilled some holes and superglued some elastic thread in for the rigging. I plan to disassemble it and airbrush the paints on as the brush painted effort doesn't look good at all.
Back to Bowie and fuss Wilf who isn't happy with the thunder. Do you still listen to CD's or records and yes, I still have a small collection of LP's which occasionally get an airing on the cheap record player which was a Xmas present several years ago.
TTFN.

7 Comments:
I still have all my old records from the first one I bought with my own money, less a few that were stolen here and there. I really ought to sell them, and have thought about it for years now.
I also still have all my old CD's and (music-related) DVD's that I should also sell. The latest CD's I bought have never been played, and some more only played to burn them digitally. I wanted to support the artist.
From CD's and (much for 'free') digital files overlapping for me, I now find I listen less, and quieter, so ToYoube Music satisfies my needs. But I get that with my premium account.
Thanks for the question, made me take another look at myself here.
Thanks for that Scott.
Sometimes it’s good to stop and take stock.Has your musical taste changed as you said you listen to quieter music? I was exposed to Irish music, C & W music and classical music (school) as well as pop but discovered jazz, rock and folk over the years.
Thank you, delcatto. I wouldn't say my taste changed as much as broadened a bit. By quieter, I mean literally - I rarely, if ever, shake the pictures off the wall anymore, or even come close. I've been a metalhead all my life, and my hearing shows it.
I should sell all that stuff as it is all just stored away. Sentimentality, I guess. But it will weigh on my mind when I have free time on my vacation next week.
We still both have all the music we've ever bought - vinyl LPs and singles, CDs and (in Mr |BW's case) tapes. I only have one digital track - TMBG's ' Birdhouse in your soul', but only because someone sent it to me once by email.
Amazon used to let you have a digital version of anything you'd ever bought hard copy of on the past, but they don't seem to do this any more?
I hate that new cars don't have CD players. Is there an easy way to get CDs into digital form? I used to have a piece of software (on CD) to rip music, but it was for Windows 95 and I doubt would work these days...
I too have the hearing loss caused by too many fun nights in small rooms at the back of pubs during the punk era.
- Dinosaurus BW
lol. Slightly deaf here as well from too many loud gigs in my youth and the Walkman.
There are players that can digitise your CD’s BW and play them. Have a browse on Amazon to see what’s out there as I saw a couple there when looking at CD players.
Yes, a cheap external CD/RW drive should do the trick, BW. I bought one when I got a new computer without a CD drive a few years ago. Just to have in case needed, though I don't think I've used it more than once or twice.
Sorry, my thoughts were in reverse. Windows Media Player can still rip a CD to digital, I'm pretty sure but it's been some time since I've done it.
Post a Comment
<< Home