I have been looking through futurelearn on-line courses this morning as I feel ready to start studying again on the cheap. I believe most of the courses are still free with payment for a recognition certificate at the end of the course. As I no longer intend to return to nursing I can look at doing this for pleasure. There are some Chinese courses to learn basic Mandarin which has peaked my interest as well as several history and literature courses. I have expressed an interest in the first Mandarin course from the Shanghai University but not yet signed up. I will consider what other courses are being offered but I am likely to start that Chinese course this year. I watch you tube videos and there are several westerners who speak various Asian languages and I enjoy the Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese ones which has prompted my interest. As western power wanes and Chinese influence increases it might be useful to have some knowledge of the language, history and culture. Given the number of models made by Chinese companies it might help translating some of the instruction manuals! Speaking of which...
This is the build so far of the Dornier Do 17P in 1/72 scale and it is so far proving difficult with the vague and confusing instructions. A good kit at a cheap price and challenging my modelling skills to a small degree. That's one reference book beneath the model and I have been researching the internet as well, mainly for photos as to where to place and cement parts.
I also received an excellent book for research for a couple of future builds given the issues I am having with the Dornier 17. This will be my last purchase for modelling for a while as I also ordered a new mattress topper today and I need to be mindful of spending and my monthly budget. The car repairs, the new gate and now this means I am well over the monthly budget. I did look at a couple of interesting non-nursing jobs but they are both full time only and one of them was paying too little but demanding a lot of the prospective employee.
The rain has finally stopped and I might just squeeze in a short walk before the next lot of heavy showers arrive. It is currently 9°C and unlikely to go above that figure today.
TTFN.


4 Comments:
I'm jolly glad that Mr BW learned Duck while he was working. When the Chinese take over the UK at least we will be in with a chance...
When he was opening the Chinese Office of his company, he was amused that all the locals were talking about him thinking he couldn't understand. On the last day he made a 'goodbye and thank you' speech - in near-perfect Mandarin and thoroughly enjoyed the looks of horror on their faces when they realised he'd understood much of what they had said while he was there. The translator they'd employed was fairly bemused too!
We got to about 17º today, but the wind continues. The forecast looks like no fire anytime this weekend, either.
For several years now I've followed one of those language people on ToYoube, Xiaomanyc. My guess, delcatto, is you've likely heard of him?
Similar situations in the vids I mentioned here, BW! Fun to see the reactions.
That made me laugh BW, I can only imagine their faces! Does Mr BW still use the language?
Yes Scott, Xiaomanyc was the first one I saw. He does astonish me and I do wonder if once you have learned a second language does it help to open up to and learn others? Immersing oneself in the language and culture would help.
Only to amuse the odd Chinese person we chance upon (so not at all now!). I think he had a go at some once when we were in South Africa and they were being stupid. No use in Chinese take aways either (not that we frequent them these days either) as most don't speak Mandarin (which is the 'elite' language).
The 'easy language learning' switch in our brains turns off in our early teens, hence why children can pick up other languages really easily but adults struggle and often never attain a good accent.
Post a Comment
<< Home