Friday, April 05, 2024

The car failed its MOT and as per usual in this land of high taxation and deteriorating infrastructure as road tax is used for anything but roads, it was the suspension that it failed on. Springs and other parts replaced, new battery and one new tyre and it has passed. I really noticed the difference whilst out on a drive this morning after collecting it. I don't do much driving now but with the improvement in the weather...well, heavy showers of warm rain as the temperatures rise I plan to go out more. I also realised this week that I had still been grieving and stuck in the doldrums but I think I have now reached the acceptance stage and need to move on. I had a brief panic regarding the spend on the car repairs and even looked at part-time nursing work but I quickly realised my anxiety at contemplating a return to nursing outweighed any concerns over money. A lightbulb moment which dissipated any panic and anxiety and made me laugh and confirmed my status as a retiree. 

The Sherman M4A3 105 mm has been 95% completed although just a few paint touch ups and weathering still required. 


 I ordered a needle cleaning kit for the airbrush following the issues I had last week with it and some Tamiya airbrush cleaner, the latter for use as a cement rather than cleaning. It is cheaper to buy this from Poland and have it delivered as opposed to buying the thin cement for modelling. I also received the two kits to augment the Airspeed Oxford Mk 1and having looked at the kits in detail, the plan to build new wings will be an interesting* challenge for me.


As can be seen below the wings from the Tasman kit are made from a hard, thick plastic, almost resin like. I had to use a craft saw to cut them from the sprue and some thought will be needed as to how I make copies of the wings. 




The Novo kit has slightly different wings and they might be easier to copy and shape to fit the Tasman kit. All good and gives me something to get my teeth into.


The chilli seedlings are now showing and they are thriving and will be transplanted to larger pots once the dangers of frost has gone. First cut of the grass this week and I plan to clear up the last of the branch pile once the garden waste has been removed. I am keen to get out in the garden and start weeding, re-seed some of the 'lawn' and plant out the night stocks. I also plan to source some tomato and cucumber plants so a wander around the countryside and see what is up for sale. I have also booked the garden gate replacement and once that is done, I can focus on re-pointing the rear wall. There is also one large window which is not double glazed and the woodwork needs re-painting. Summer jobs are lined up! Having said that I am looking forward to sitting out in the garden, soaking up the sunshine and just enjoying it. However, the weather for this weekend is Storm Kathleen piling in from the west with high winds and rain although it will be the west that bears the brunt of it. We are stocked up on tea, coffee and bacon for the weekend, no beer as I still have no desire to drink any since mid January but an occasional whisky does the trick. I bought a bottle of Dewars Caribbean Smooth 8 year old whisky and I can thoroughly recommend it and at also at a reduced price in Sainsbugs.

TTFN.

*Bloody difficult!


2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

Sounds like good self realization and acceptance, like you're in a good place. That's good to hear.

I'm good without beer, just need my whiskey ;). But also not too adventurous with my whiskeys, just the same two.

Good luck with the wings, I'm sure you're up for the challenge!

11:53 pm  
Blogger delcatto said...

Cheers Scott. Yes, same here with an occasional whisky as generally my preferred drink these days is tea or coffee.

I’ll have to do some research regarding methods of wing making, possibly a resin mould.

6:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home