Wednesday, April 10, 2024

 The unusual model I mentioned in an earlier post is progressing nicely although I am now working slowly on the individual tracks.


An Austrian vehicle which the Germans used after the Anschluss and absorption of the failed painters country into Germany. Unusual in that it could run on road wheels or tracks depending on the terrain. It has gone together quite well so far despite the vague instructions  necessitating  intense scrutiny of old photos on the net for enlightenment.


This was progress this morning as I slowly complete one track with the individual tracks cleaned up and then cemented together. Tiny pieces and I jokingly refer to the Zen art of track building in modelling forums as concentration, patience and being as one with the process is required. I don't mind it although some modellers hate this. I had intended to build it as an Afrika Korps vehicle but the empty space inside and my desire to build only as is, OOB meant I shut the vehicle up rather than have doors and hatches open. I might still go down that route as sandstorms necessitate closure of all apertures and the vehicle commander can have goggles and a scarf to protect against the storm. I have a few days before I make that decision as the tracks will take time as I assemble it in 20 - 30 minute slots and then walk away to regain my sanity. I have realised from watching modelling videos and from forums I can build kits from similar areas such as the North African desert and paint and weather them together. I shall do that with this kit and the Italian armoured car I have built.

Otherwise a quiet life as my back means I am confined to short local walks only and generally pottering about. It is sadly ironic that retirement allows me lots of time but my health now stops me doing the things I had planned to do. Happily I do go out and I enjoyed a short walk in the Wolds on Monday, listening to birdsong and seeing lots of greenery, feeling the breeze on my face. It is the little things that matter, the things we often take for granted.

TTFN.


2 Comments:

Blogger Scoakat said...

I'm still looking forward to the greenery here. Grass is turning, some plants coming up, but all the trees are still bare. We're to have our warmest day in six months here this weekend. Yay!

Hope you feel better, and glad you still get out. I had to look up Wolds - looks like what comes to mind when I think of the English countryside. Are they all public paths that you walk there?

12:43 am  
Blogger delcatto said...

Thanks Scott.

There are many public footpaths but I avoid the difficult muddy tracks, sticking to the better ones. I could do with more up to date maps or the phone app showing rights of way but I don’t go out often enough.

9:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home